View job on Handshake
Data Governance Analyst Intern
Time Frame: Summer 2022
Work Location: Remote or in person
Help join a growing team helping the organization learn and a manage its data a critical asset to the organization. Data Governance Analysts will focus on analysis and problem solving related to data, types of data, and relationships among data elements within business functions & systems.
The Data Governance Analyst is a champion for data definition, data management process definition, and data quality levels for specific data subject areas. This role ensures that groups performing necessary data management functions are closely linked and receive consistent strong data/analytics guidance.
May provide guidance and leadership to other employees performing Data Analysis functions.
Performs the following responsibilities in an independent capacity and may provide guidance to other employees performing these functions:
Enterprise Data Modeling, Reporting, & Business Intelligence
· Impacts a range of customer, operational, project or service activities within own team and other related teams; works within broad guidelines and policies
· Collect, manipulate and analyze complex datasets
· Use SQL systems and open-source framework such as Hadoop to support utilization of Big Data/unstructured data
· Translate the requirements to physical and financial aspects, such as software and hardware specifications
· Facilitate the design and implementation of new data systems/processes
· Capture and maintenance of specific meta data elements
· Utilize standard formulas and methods as are common in the industry and relevant to the current data in all phases (collection, analysis, reporting): Example variations and averages, create and interpret histograms
· Assist with periodic reporting on quality metrics
Enterprise Data Stewardship & Governance
· Support overall data management roadmap: increasing consistency and confidence in decision making through use of supporting and accurate data, while decreasing the risk of regulatory fines, improving data security, and assist in designating accountability for information quality.
· Work as part of a team dedicated to maintaining and enhancing the overall usefulness, integrity and data security of data across the enterprise.
· Assure data repositories produce reusable and consistent data
· Help to foster a culture of discipline where operational, business and data software decisions are made with consideration to their impact on CUNA Mutual Group’s data assets
· Assists in development and maintenance of business requirements / classifications of data (e.g., retention, security classification, etc.)
· Serves as “champion” of Data Governance principles / topics within application work stream & business area
· Helps identify data governance-related issues in work stream or within business areas
· Serve as the primary contact for assigned data domain questions throughout the data life cycle relating to the data definition, its use, related processes and policies, and quality
· Champions where specific business unit or domain data is housed within the enterprise (E.g., ODSs, EDW, data layer, data-marts, non-IT supported data assets, etc.)
· Facilitate organizing and streamlining the process with which data is collected, shared, utilized, protected, cleaned, and stored.
· Assess the requirements of the organization with respect to its operations and functions
· Define and assist with implementing specific data quality requirements
· Assess adherence to other elements of established data standards
· Assist in verifying appropriate usage and distribution of in-scope data
· Assists with developing Local Data Governance standards and processes
· Document data issues which cannot be resolved directly and escalate them to Data Owner, and if necessary, the Data Governance Council for resolution.
Enterprise Data Communications
· Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus and influence
· Prepare reports or visualizations: graphs, charts, dashboards
· Assist with development and delivery of Data Governance communications
· Serve as a liaison between internal and external technical and business groups.
· Work as part of a team dedicated to maintaining and enhancing the overall usefulness, integrity and security of data across the enterprise.
· Use reports and analyses to help management make decisions and set goals
· Champion relevant data to appropriate users in an organization and monitor the published data sources for usage/relevance/quality feedback.
The above statement of duties is not intended to be all inclusive and other duties will be assigned from time to time.
· BS in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics, or related field.
· 5+ years’ experience as a data analyst
· Knowledge of leading practices and how own area integrates with others
· In-depth understanding of products/services in own area and knowledge of those in other areas; is aware of the competition and the factors that differentiate CUNA Mutual in the market