View job on Handshake
Your future begins now. Verisk‘s Summer Internship Program is designed to provide you with real work experience, professional development, and networking opportunities.
We are hiring in several locations across the US for this internship. Should you perform well in the internship, you may receive an offer to join our full-time Data Science Excellence Program (DSEP) following graduation. As DSEP is a rotational program, we highly suggest that you apply to this internship if you are open to future relocation.
At Verisk, we have a longstanding commitment to inclusion, diversity & belonging in our workplace and marketplace. Click here to read our statement on Racial, Equity and Diversity and learn more about our Employee Network Groups and our commitment to making a change.
Working as a Data Engineer at Verisk means:
- Being part of and contributing to a large, vibrant community
- Understanding problems in multiple verticals including P&C Insurance, Life Insurance, Energy, Financial Services, Environmental Health and Safety, and Geopolitical Security
- Applying a variety of analytic methodologies to data engineering/feature creation to support analytic solution development
- Working with a diverse set of extremely rich datasets such as 19 billion detailed records of insurance premiums collected and losses paid, 90%+ of Insurance Claims in the US, 95%+ of Credit Cards transactions in the US and UK, 7 million+ Safety Data Sheets, and Information on 3 million+ oil and gas wells
- Seeing your work result in new products, product enhancements, consulting revenue, or internal process improvements on a regular basis
- Working with cutting-edge technology and continuously developing new skills and capabilities
Purpose of the role
- Development – Develop pipelines and processes used to manage data on-premise and on the Cloud using traditional ETL and RDBMS tools and/or contemporary tools like MAPR, Spark, Lambda, Python, Scala, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, PostgreSQL
- Data Integration – Plan and build data integrations between internal and external data sources and systems
- Data Modeling – Apply expertise to help model structured and unstructured data.
- Architecture – Maintain how data is stored, integrated, and put to use
- Data Stewardship – Define systems of record, catalog operational and nonoperational data stores.
Work availability requirements:
- December 2022/ May 2023 graduate pursuing a BS or MS degree in a technical field of study (engineering, computer science, etc.)
- Must be able to commence working without restrictions in June 2022 for a summer internship.
- Programming skills, particularly in one or more of Spark, SAS, R, Python, C
- Ability to solve problems analytically and creatively
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills
- Familiarity/ interest with SQL or NoSQL (e.g., Hadoop, HBase, MongoDB and/or Neo4j) databases