View job on Handshake
Title: Data Engineer I
Supervisor: Director, Data Engineering
Location: Culver City, CA
Hiring Range: $
Date: October, 2021
HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling. WarnerMedia’s streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max launched in May 2020 and is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max is home to key third-party library acquisitions such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis and other visionaries. Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
We have created a new Data & AI (DAI) group within HBOMAX Direct-To-Consumer Organization to make the streaming products more data-driven. This team is looking to hire a Data Engineer who will be working closely with a team to build a state-of-the-art data platform to solve various data-driven use cases across the organization. This platform will host various data products such as but not limited to, Subscription, Content, and Product Analytics, Personalization and Recommendation, Marketing & Ad-Sales enablement. A focus will be placed on building data quality tools and ensuring the delivery of reliable data.
This team is charged with building a new core data platform in the cloud – handling both streaming and batch data processing, solving any big data issues and helping data engineers, analysts, and scientists perform their functions by building highly scalable capabilities across the platform.
- Participate in the design and develop the data platform to efficiently and cost effectively address various data needs across the business.
- Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including event driven data processing, storage, and serving through scalable and highly available APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies.
- Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
- Ensure performance of the platform by implementing and refining robust data processing, REST services, and caching technologies.
- Work closely with data analysts and business stake holders to make data easily accessible and understandable to them.
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science or Similar discipline.
· 1+ years of experience in software engineering and/or data engineering or a relevant internship
· Experience in programming and scripting languages – Java, Python or similar.
· Experience with different types of databases (RedShift, SnowFlake, …) and query engine (SQL, Spark SQL, Hive,…).
Nice to Have
· Cloud (AWS) experience
· No-SQL (Apache Cassandra, DynamoDB or similar)
· Experience with analytics and visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau
· Ability to take initiative in a high visibility, agile environment
· Ability and willingness to learn any new technologies and apply them at work to stay ahead of the curve.
· Ability and desire to understand the meaning behind the data