About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry-leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE’s comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
The Data Engineer will play a key role in developing & supporting the company’s data & analytics capabilities. The successful candidate will have multifaceted skills & experience and have a strong desire to play an integral part in data architecture development and administration. This person will work closely with all parts of the IT team to advance strategic initiatives and support capabilities and adoption across the company. Our optimal candidate exhibits personal humility and strives to enable the success of their team in our collaborative and fast-moving work environment.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend software technologies to achieve outstanding data warehouse performance and ETL functionality
- Develop and maintain ETL pipelines and software tools to efficiently pre-process, modify, integrate, and archive large data collections
- Work closely with data scientists, analysts, and engineers to ensure data quality and availability for reporting, analytical modeling, prototyping, and applications
- Prepare data and build data pipelines for Machine Learning/AI use cases (e.g., text corpora for NLP modeling)
- Implement solutions for data security, quality, and automation of processes
- Create and maintain clear and well-organized documentation for database schemas and ETL pipelines
- Any other duties as required
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineer, or a technology-related field
- 5+ years of experience as a SQL Developer, DBA, and/or Architect
- Demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex requirements for technical and non-technical colleagues
- Experience designing, maintaining, and troubleshooting data warehouses and ‘big data’ ETL pipelines with responsibility for regular maintenance, bug fixes, and performance analysis required
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytical skills related to working with unstructured datasets required
- Strong knowledge of SQL with experience writing and optimizing queries against complex data models required
- Proficiency with Python required; experience with other scripting languages a plus (e.g., R, Scala, Julia)
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, Lambda, Glue, Athena, and/or Redshift required
- Experience with UNIX/Linux including basic commands and shell scripting required
- Familiarity with source control (Git) and Docker is a plus
- Experience with GCP services such as Compute Engine, Cloud Storage, Cloud SQL, Bigtable, DataProc, and/or Dataflow is a plus
- Experience using Big Data platforms (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, HBase, CouchDB, Hive, etc.) is a plus
- Ability to work independently and in a remote team environment
- Must be a creative and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills, able to go beyond current tools to deliver the best solutions to complex problems
- Must be a team player (willing to set aside personal interests for the good of the team)
- Must be goal-driven and a self-starter (can be given an objective and proactively identifies & executes the tasks required to achieve the objective)
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote-based.
- This role can be based anywhere in the US.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity invest in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, the pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal’s Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.