View job on Handshake
Looking to jumpstart your career at a company that offers real opportunities to flourish?
Look no further than Pacific Life. We’re investing in bright, agile new talent with fresh perspectives to help us innovate and build meaningful relationships for years to come. It’s in this spirit that we are currently looking to add Data Analytics Interns and Data Engineering Interns to our team for Summer 2022.
As a Data Analytics or Data Engineer Intern, you will play a key role in developing a more data-driven culture at Pacific Life. Interns will have the opportunity to spend their summer in Southern California and work at a Fortune 500 company in the financial services industry. Interns will use industry leading tools such as Python, R, Sales Force, and Alteryx to help solve real world business problems. They will be paired with various business units (such as predictive analytics, actuarial, IT, customer experience, etc.) to provide technical expertise while learning more about the business. This position is open to students in any field of study that is a fit for the position as described below. If you are passionate about data, you’re exactly who we’re seeking!
Applicants will be considered for both the Data Analytics and Data Engineer roles. If you have a strong preference for one over the other, you are welcome to share that in the interview process.
Data Analytics Interns- What You’ll Do
- Analyze data to provide insights to the business
- Communicate research findings and opportunities to the team to guide next steps
- Manage and create datasets and reports
- Data visualization through dashboards with tools such as R Shiny, Tableau, and others.
Data Engineer Interns- What You’ll Do
- Evaluate business needs, and clarify requirements, data, processes, and systems for complex technology projects.
- Mine large and complex datasets for insights and converting the insights into product features.
- Collaborate with analysts and other engineers to formulate innovative data engineering solutions.
- Build creative solutions to complex business problems that provide functionality, speed, scalability, and reliability required by the business to use data effectively.
- Work closely with other teams to assist with integration design, development & implementation.
- Communicate complex concepts and results in a clear and effective manner.
Factors for Success
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, Economics, Business, Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or another quantitative Field.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to multitask, prioritize work, take initiative, and be self-sufficient with responsibilities.
- Ability to work well with others as a team and independently.
- Desire for learning new technologies and analytic tools; as well as modeling and quantitative techniques.
- Experience in programming – any language.
- Familiarity with industry tools such as: Alteryx, Python, R, SAS, SQL and Tableau.
- Demonstrated skills of machine learning, database systems, modeling, and software scripting tools used in data science.
- Display a true passion and intellectual curiosity for data science via coursework, external activities such as Kaggle contests or hackathons, or some combination of both.
More reasons to join:
At Pacific Life, the work we do matters. We work passionately each day to drive our company forward while enjoying job security, flexible scheduling, and great opportunities for career growth.
If you’re seeking a thriving career doing the type of meaningful work that’s all too rare at a Fortune 500 Company, Pacific Life is the place for you. If you are a self-starter who appreciates creativity and individuality in your colleagues – even better. We look forward to receiving your application.
You belong at Pacific Life
At Pacific Life we believe you belong. We foster a culture of belonging, a space where all employees are empowered to be authentic. We embrace and celebrate diversity, create a culture of equity and inclusion, and value and respect every employee.
In 2020, we demonstrated agility and swiftly shifted to a working-from-home environment with little to no disruption. Going forward, we will move toward a hybrid, digital-first workplace that encompasses flexible work policies, inclusive space design, and innovative technology solutions. At Pacific Life, we are pioneering a trail and challenging the status quo to build the next normal.
Want to learn more about life at Pacific Life? Take an inside look at our company culture: Instagram.com/lifeatpacificlife.
How We Help You Succeed:
Our Summer Internship Program has become Pacific Life’s talent pipeline for full time early career opportunities. The University Relations team ensures each intern has a well-rounded positive experience to help them reach their career goals. The Summer Program includes:
- Professional Development
- Executive Mentorship Program
- Collaborative Environment
- Real-World Work
- Social Events
- Training and Education
- Networking and Exposure to Leadership
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.