View job on Handshake
**This job posting will be used to fill two Research Analysis Specialist positions**
As a data analyst at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, you will lead, facilitate, and participate in complex, broad-based, and agency-wide program evaluation, data management, and data analysis projects with an emphasis on the development, execution, and communication of statistical and visual data analysis. Using data science principles, you will assess the effectiveness of program business processes in meeting environmental and operational goals, identify opportunities for improvement, and recommend strategies for enhancements in order to provide the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) leadership and its staff with the ability to make and communicate informed, data-driven decisions.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science or other Natural Science; or Statistics, Computer Science, or other related degree with a broad knowledge of environmental sciences, natural sciences or Geographical Information System (GIS) AND two (2) years of demonstrated experience managing data; querying databases; performing quantitative analysis, spatial analysis, statistical modeling; and/or analyzing and reporting on data.
- Technical writing skills sufficient to organize and effectively present ideas to a variety of audiences.
- Human relation and communication skills sufficient to collaborate, work effectively, and create understanding within a wide-range of clientele, partners, and interested parties.
- Accomplished planning and organizational skills to meet priorities, goals and objectives, monitor work, and follow-up on implementation.
- Willingness and ability to learn new data analysis tools, skills, and software.
- Experience manipulating large datasets with a wide variety of approaches and tools.
- Experience identifying and extracting factual information from a variety of sources to produce clear, concise analysis and reports.
- Expertise in a wide variety of analytical, evaluation or documentation software such as Microsoft Access, Tableau, SQL, Snap Surveys, Excel, Visio, Python, R or other statistical analysis software.
- Ability to design and conduct both summative and formative program evaluation.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure pollution does not have a disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have an inclusive workplace for everyone