View job on Handshake
Responsible for discovering patterns and trends through spatial mapping. Extracts data from GIS software and uses analysis methods to arrive at results. Develops mapping applications and tools as requested. Explains geographic trends and findings from analyses to end users. Performs data analysis, programming or scripting and cartography. Coordinates with end users and other staff members to accomplish project goals. Performs other duties of a similar nature as may be required.
- Responsible for the collection, QA-QC, analysis and maintenance of information including GIS databases, sewer plans and photo/video files.
- Conducts complex geospatial and geostatistical analysis to support the District’s projects and programs.
- Creates, analyzes, reports, converts and/or transfers data using industry-standard with customized GIS software tools.
- Utilizes problem analysis and problem-solving skills, evaluating all possible alternatives and recommending best solutions/courses of action to meet organization, customer, project and/or program requirements.
- Provides technical expertise in GIS technology, which includes research, analysis, specification development, data management, report output and documentation control.
- Partners with internal/external stakeholders that include co-workers, consultants, contractors, community officials, general public.
- Provides technical/statistical information and products (e.g. graphs, reports, maps, data and document research, data management, field inspections and document control) using District applications (e.g. GIS) and software tools to meet District needs.
- Leads and/or performs GIS project management activities including planning, scheduling, performance and utilization of GIS tools and resources.
- Provides GIS-related technical and analytical support as needed, including but not limited to, research, data management, map and application development, project progress tracking.
- Builds and maintains effective public and interagency relations by encouraging and providing support and participation in District activities that align with organization and stakeholder goals.
- Supports, develops, implements, analyzes and administers GIS applications. Responsible to maintain applications, for example new/updated data services, or tools in the applications and working with others to do so.
- Coordinates with internal and external stakeholders regarding key initiatives.
- Participates in and/or leads department meetings, project group and status meetings.
- Provides status reports in verbal and written formats as needed to support project milestones, schedules and cost tracking.
- Partners with internal district departments and external stakeholders, such as local agencies, consultants, contractors, community officials and general public to meet business needs.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in Geography, Engineering, Planning, Information Services or a related field.
- Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as outlined in the Education Equivalencies Policy.
- Candidate must possess three (3) years of demonstrated Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis and database work experience.
- Experience working with underground utility (e.g. water, wastewater, sewer and/or stormwater) industry, environmental/natural resources and/or customer billing industry is preferred.
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license with a driving record in accordance with the District’s acceptable guidelines.
- Geographic Information System Professional (GISP) certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Candidate must possess strong analytical, technical, organizational, task and time management, communication, interpersonal and customer service skills. Must be able to work independently and/or as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Candidate must be able to collect and organize data, produce geodatabases, produce map products based on client requests, perform data analysis and other responsibilities as required by projects. Candidate must have the ability to learn new tools, software and processes as project needs dictate. Candidate is expected to evaluate problems or situations at hand and analyze strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and processes in order to choose proper solutions. Candidate must have the ability to learn new tools, software and languages as project needs dictate.
- Candidate must have knowledge of Design/CAD, GIS programs, the latest version of ESRI ArcGIS desktop platform, Model Builder skills, and ArcGIS Online.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
During the course of performing the essential functions of this position, the employee must be able to compare, copy, compute, compile, analyze, coordinate, synthesize and instruct. Ability to communicate while exhibiting strong interpersonal skills is required. Physical work will need to be performed, such as standing, sitting, walking, handling, feeling, fingering, hearing and talking. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs. on an occasional basis. Position will require visual demands of near acuity, depth perception, accommodation and color vision. The position is primarily an office position, however, the need to be in the field is required on an occasional basis. While working in the field, the employee may be exposed to extreme weather, atmospheric conditions and wet and/or humid conditions.
DISCLAIMER: The information outlined in this job description indicates the general nature and type of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to provide a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities or competencies required of employees within this classification.
Licenses & Certifications
Certified GIS Prof