The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) is seeking a Data Analyst to serve as a primary liaison among scientists, NScD, ORNL, and Department of Energy (DOE) Basic Energy Sciences (BES), to enable NScD to produce high impact science. This position is based on site at ORNL and is not a remote position.
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world’s most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 2,000 visiting scientists. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Analyze, summarize, and present data related to facility scientific productivity and user satisfaction.
- Collect and effectively integrate information for ORNL and DOE reports, reviews, and presentations.
- Implement improvements on design and delivery while maintaining existing reports.
- Evaluate the organization’s information needs and develop innovative solutions.
- Oversee the tracking of facility scientific publications with analysis by impact factor, instrument, facility, funding sources, participating organization(s), date, and other factors.
- Creatively use graphs, charts, dashboards, and other methods to visualize large, complex data sets and to share trends, findings, and recommendations.
- Benchmark other neutron and related user facilities, as appropriate, for comparisons in areas such as publications, productivity metrics, and user experience.
- Analyze and contribute to improvements in internal software systems for tracking user proposals, experiments, and publications. Run software QA tests to assure data integrity.
- Define goals and strategies for improving the quality of reporting, communication, outreach, and user experience.
- Contribute to policy changes to address quickly changing conditions.
- Investigate and resolve diverse complex problems using both known solutions and/or developing original or new solutions.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Communicate effectively verbally and visually with NScD users, managers, staff, and DOE.
- Present information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with software developers to produce clear requirements for updates to internal systems.
- Participate in group meetings and attend occasional conferences.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Mentor Graduate Research Assistant and junior staff members.
- Ensure an inclusive work environment for a diverse community of users, staff, postdocs, and students.
- BS degree in business analytics, science, statistics, information science, or other related field, and 3 or more years of related experience. A MS degree in related field with 1 year of experience or PhD with 0 years of experience will also be considered.
- Experience using online resources and bibliographic databases.
- Experience working with information of a business sensitive nature, with proven ability to meet this responsibility in a professional and ethical manner.
- MS degree in business analytics, science, statistics, information science, or other related field, and 5 or more years of related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, and present information effectively.
- Strong analytical and problem identification/resolution skills and the ability to understand complex organizational issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Ability to work independently, in a fast-paced, complex, and constantly changing research environment.
- Previous experience at a user facility or previous DOE experience.
- Advanced computer skills with expertise in MS Office suite and data visualization tools such as Microsoft Excel, Power BI, and Tableau.
- Experience with user interface design and UX.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.