Who We Are
As an impact investor, Advantage’s mission is to bring businesses, technologies, jobs and housing to communities that have historically lacked access to investment capital, while also generating competitive returns for our investors proving that conscious capitalism is possible. Since 1992, Advantage Capital has invested more than $3.8 billion in over 800 companies, spanning a diverse array of industry sectors. We’ve built a sterling track record of public-private partnerships with state and federal governments and private institutional investors, directly creating tens of thousands of jobs in underserved communities and industries.
We love what we do. We fundamentally believe that capital can change lives and we go to great lengths to give our firm the opportunity to reach the hardest hit communities in the U.S. with much needed investment. For anyone considering joining our high – performing firm, know that we value: a growth mindset (never fixed), a fast but enduring work pace (rarely slow), the ability to work autonomously (no micromanaging), getting things done (talk is cheap), an all-hands-on-deck culture (a true team), a love of hard-to-solve problems (that others won’t attempt), and the character to do the right thing (always).
The primary objective of this role is to develop data systems and automations, and support analytics and research insights that drive stakeholder success throughout the organization. As a central and cross-functional team member to the firm, the member will have an opportunity to contribute to the development of public-private partnerships, fundraising efforts, communication and thought leadership pieces, investment strategy and performance measurement and evaluation. Specifically, the position will assist with or lead data integrity projects, data systems integrations (Salesforce, SQL, and future tools), the development of an online system to collect portfolio company financial and operations data, and the production of automated investment and social impact performance reports.
Reports To: Vice President
· Manage and enhance the collection, quality checking and capturing of investment related data from new and existing investments through the onboarding and quarterly portfolio reporting processes, as well as bi-annual portfolio surveys, site visits and alternative data sources.
· Maintain an expertise on data management software and best practices.
· Contribute to analyses of portfolio company financial and other impact related data to establish improved metrics and methods of reporting, policy initiatives, business strategy and marketing techniques.
· Collaborate on research, operations, business strategy, and goals using insightful discovery of data findings from internal datasets and public social and economic sources.
· Monitor database needs, performance, usership and feature enhancement. Find new ways to build and innovate on data systems and improve existing systems through automation.
· Find or build software solutions to streamline data processes and distribute data across the firm.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative or technical area including but not limited to Economics, Information Systems, or Financial Engineering.
· Significant experience collecting and organizing structured data using relational databases and web-based API’s.
· Proficiency with managing, updating, and querying SQL Databases.
· Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative or technical area
· Experience with CRM (Salesforce) and/or Data Visualization (Tableau, Looker, Microsoft BI, etc.) tools is a plus.
· Passionate ambassador of firm’s double bottom line mission.
· Detail oriented in work product, processes, and communications.
· Shows vision, ownership, and enthusiasm for all projects.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills of complex information.
· Disciplined time and project manager who can act with urgency and work autonomously.
· Expresses innate curiosity, thoughtfulness, and desire for personal growth.
· Does what is right because it is right.
· Embraces all-hands-on-deck culture and able to bring together firm components for success.
· Mentors team colleagues and others at the firm.
· Proactively assists other team members before asked.