View job on Handshake
Who We Are
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. IDA’s mission is to answer the most challenging U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic expertise. IDA operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC’s).
The Corporate Financial Planning Analyst Lead is responsible for the budget, forecast, and forward pricing processes for IDA. Acts as a key technical expert on financial analysis issues, concerns, and special projects. Performs complex financial analyses across the company to consistently produce high quality, timely, accurate and relevant analyses & business decision support to the Senior Manager, Financial Strategy & Analytics.
- Manages corporate-wide budgeting, forecasting and forward pricing processes that identify and mitigate budget performance risks using timely analyses of root cause and options analyses.
- Analyzes budget performance and proactively sets in motion actions to meet cost and rate objectives.
- Works effectively cross-organizationally to monitor budget vs actual, coordinates with divisions and directorates to analyze report on MTD/YTD variances to management.
- Works with managers to integrate and streamline internal and external financial reporting while ensuring compliance.
- Interfaces with IT, Financial Systems, Business Intelligence partners and finance management to identify new methods of financial reporting to reduce or eliminate reliance on Excel-based reporting. Understands IDA’s business and the ability to find commonality across business areas to streamline and simplify reporting.
- Develops relevant financial management reporting to internal IDA management, auditors and external sponsors as required. These reports may include, but are not limited to:
- Standard monthly, annual and multi-year reporting
- Incurred Cost Submission
- Key business metric and analytics
- Additional analyses and report as requested by management
- Drives continuous improvement in financial operations, optimizing financial processes and procedures, leveraging the financial system to its fullest capacity, and implementing the latest business systems tools and technologies where prudent.
- Develops trusted and effective relationships with a wide base of stakeholders which includes but is not limited to corporate officers, directors, managers and peer managers across operations and within finance and administration.
- Assesses historical and current financial performance as a means of understanding trends and predicting future revenue, expenses, capital, cash flows and indirect rate impacts.
- Applies advanced knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulations, Cost Accounting Standards and Forward Pricing Rate Proposal and CAS Disclosure Statement requirements to ensure high-quality, compliant finance practices.
- Seeks knowledge of best practices continuously across financial planning and analysis and cost estimating to ensure IDA’s financial practices keep pace with industry trends and internal IDA management expectations; participates actively in the business modernization effort.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance of related area; MBA (or MBA candidate) preferred.
- Ten years financial analysis experience in a government contracting environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of staff and external personnel.
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Successful completion of a criminal background check.
- US citizenship is required.
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required