We are helping our client find a Controller to join their team to be based in either their Ventura (preferred) or Santa Barbara office. Rincon Consultants, Inc. is a leader in providing quality environmental consulting services throughout California. Recognized as a 2019 Zweig Group nationally-ranked ‘Best Places to Work.
The successful candidate will be a self-directed, proactive problem-solver with a track record of successfully delivering on multiple priorities. It is preferable that this candidate has industry experience and working in a matrixed leadership organization. The primary areas focus on becoming an effective Controller as a Strategic Partner with a focus on relationships, leadership and the soft side of the business, rather than solely on accounting and financial information. The major theme is running the company with the numbers and not by the numbers. The Controller will manage and direct the accounting and financial activities of the organization in compliance with GAAP standards and Federal Acquisition Regulation. Oversees accounting and billing team with several direct reports. Reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
What Do You Get To Do In This Position:
- Create financial schedules to ensure timely completion of all financial statements.
- Coordinate with accounting staff to verify transactions regularly; reviews and analyzes general ledgers to ensure accuracy and compliance; approves bank reconciliations.
- Analyze variances and take/recommend corrective action.
- Ensure accounting and financial reporting is accurate, timely, and complete.
- Lead remaining ERP build out and establishment of controls in ERP software. Lead a future initiative to upgrade and/or replace ERP.
- Develop and recruit ERP software manager position to oversee continued performance enhancement, training, data QA/QC and cleanup, and support function for ERP.
- Work with CFO, billing team, HR and IT to complete and roll-out of operating manual for billing team, project managers and executives, specific to Ajera ERP platform.
- Prepare/Provide trainings for staff to support full roll-out and next phase development of ERP transition.
- Play key role in selection and implementation of next life cycle ERP/CRM or CRM software.
- Develop internal financial controls; tax compliance and liability analysis in cooperation with external CPA firm; ensures financial process are audit-ready.
- Oversee and direct audit, tax, accounting and short/long range forecasting for the organization.
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside accounting firm, financial institutions, and insurance brokers. Ensures sound vendor management.
- Prepare and implement departmental budgets, review budget proposals, and prepare necessary supporting documentation and justification.
- Analyze discrepancies between actual and budgeted expectations, take/recommend corrective action.
- Design and implement internal controls for purchasing/procurement and project controls in conjunction with the CFO.
- Support M&A activities and corporate financing solutions.
- Assess, develop, and implement solutions that streamline business operations, reduce costs, and conserve organizational resources.
- Provide CFO with timely reviews and meaningful management reports of the organization’s financial status and progress in its various programs and activities.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Support and enforce organizational goals, policies, procedures, values and culture.
This Job Might Be For You If You Have The Following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration (preferably in Accounting or Finance) from an accredited college or university; MBA preferred; and/or 7-10 years related experience.
- Demonstrated experience as a strategic partner who has a history of exercising sound leadership practices.
- Communicates fluently and conversationally on technical, financial-related topics to an audience of scientists and non-financial colleagues.
- ERP implementation and transition experience highly desired.
- Deltek Ajera ERP experience highly desired.
- Accounting/Finance experience working in a professional services firm preferred.
- CPA/CMA is a plus.
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Strong communications are required to interface with multiple levels of external customers on contract matters and with internal staff.
- Adept at adapting to changing circumstances while managing multiple initiatives.
How to thrive in the role:
- Takes Initiative – Leads by Example – Takes Charge
- Collaborative – Builds Consensus – Encourages Diversity of Opinion and Thought
- Customer Focused – Delivers Exceptional Service – Exceeds Expectations
- Shares Knowledge – Heart of a Teacher
- Problem Solver – Results-Oriented – Resilient
Total Rewards Package* Includes:
- Competitive compensation with bonus opportunity
- HMO, PPO, HDHP, Health Savings Account options
- Generous Vacation accrual
- 401(k) / Profit Sharing Retirement Plan
- Bonus Opportunity
- Paid Sick Leave
- Eight Paid Holidays
- Flexible Spending & Dependent Care
- Employer-paid life and long-term disability insurance
- Dental, vision, prescription drug
- Supplemental life insurance
- Volunteer Pay for a Day
- Legal Shield, Identity Protection, Pet Insurance
- Professional Development
- Patagonia Merchandise Partnership
- And much more!
*All programs subject to review and change and are provided for regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30+ hours per week
Rincon Consultants does not accept unsolicited applicant/candidate resumes from search firm recruiters and/or temporary agencies that do not have a signed contract and specified work order with Rincon Consultants. Further, such resumes received will be deemed the sole property of Rincon Consultants and no fees will be paid in the event Rincon Consultants subsequently hires such individual. Rincon Consultants is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.