Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a full-time Consulting Statistician/Data Scientist with a location in Fort Collins, CO, Laramie, WY, or remote. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Generous paid leave
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Life insurance, LTD and AD&D
- SEP IRA
- Employee owned/Shareholder potential
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate must be a self-starter who enjoys learning new analytical techniques to solve challenging problems and communicating and interacting with people (both co-workers and clients). Additionally, the successful candidate should provide technical solutions and advise co-workers and clients on complex statistical analyses.
- Directs and efficiently performs complex statistical analyses (e.g., Bayesian hierarchical modeling, distance sampling, occupancy modeling, mixed models, resource selection functions).
- Writes proposals and participates in client outreach.
- Produces quality written statistical methods and results for reports.
- Has experience in developing and assessing study designs, including sampling design, revisit design, and response design and understands the implications of study design decisions.
- Provides critical review of new research and methods
- Coordinates multiple projects at one time
- Collaborates with coworkers and maintains a positive attitude
- Mentors junior statisticians on statistical analysis and design
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
- PhD in statistics
- 2 or more years of experience as an applied statistician in ecology, fisheries, or wildlife research
- Relevant experience in statistical consulting
- Proficient in statistical programming and advanced data manipulation in R
- Experience with some or all of the follow analysis methods: generalized linear modeling, bootstrapping and simulation, spatial analysis, Bayesian hierarchical modeling, and survival analysis
- Has advanced database knowledge.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience mentoring
- Experience with relational database systems and data manipulation
- Experience with data management and geographical information systems (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.)
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office applications
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Furthermore, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.