Date: Feb 14, 2022
Location: Portland, OR, US, 97232
PacifiCorp is seeking customer-centric candidates to grow and sustain our commitment to a culture of customer service excellence, environmental sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion.
PacifiCorp’s Energy Supply Management (ESM) group is looking for a highly motivated Commercial Transmission Specialist who will manage and optimize the Company’s merchant transmission assets, analyze and negotiate the purchase of new merchant transmission rights, and provide guidance in the sale and remarketing of merchant transmission rights, consistent with the strategic direction of the Company. The individual will manage Network, Point-to-Point and legacy transmission agreements with transmission providers with the overall goal to reduce risk and enhance net power costs for customers. In addition, the individual will perform economic analysis and data driven analytics to justify existing and new transmission contracts.
- Manage rights and obligations in existing Network, Point-to-Point and legacy transmission agreement obligations with transmission providers, including but not limited to PacifiCorp, Idaho Power and the Bonneville Power Administration.
- Perform thorough analysis to optimize the company’s long-term merchant transmission portfolio and ensure adequate transmission for company generation, contracts and new transactions while reducing risk and net power costs for customers.
- Originate terms and conditions in new transmission contracts and restructure existing transmission contracts to enhance deliverability, reduce risk and net power costs.
- Perform economic modeling for existing and proposed transmission contracts and build detailed and insightful financial models.
- Compile, analyze, interpret, and summarize transmission, resource and related data to produce analytical studies and make recommendations.
- Review proposed short and long-term Front-Office transactions for transmission deliverability.
- Analyze, develop and facilitate implementation of transmission service and/or balancing authority area (BAA) solutions for complex, multi-faceted projects involving multiple project areas and stakeholders.
- Develop and facilitate implementation of both short-term and long-term transmission optimization strategies to reduce net power costs for customers.
- Work collaboratively with other ESM groups such as Day-Ahead trading, Real-Time trading, Origination, Finance, etc. to enhance PacifiCorp’s ability to serve our customer base reliably and profitably.
- Work with transmission providers on issues relating to business practices, transmission service obligations/provisions, transmission outages, OASIS, and technical systems implementation.
- Contribute to the Company’s related business needs such as system balancing support on a day-to-day basis, support Integrated Resource Planning, business plan updates, and reliability standard compliance.
- Support General Rate Case filings and fulfill data request assignments by performing meticulous data analysis, crafting written responses and participating in peer reviews.
- Engage and represent Company’s interest in regional transmission policy stakeholder processes (BPA, NWPP, CAISO, etc.).
- Develop a thorough understanding of Company policies, systems, evaluation and approval practices, procedures, standard Open Access Transmission Tariff rules and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Mathematics, Finance or a related quantitative field;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in analysis, management, and the execution of merchant transmission rights, or related experience
- Previous work experience in hybrid roles that combine technical, economic, and policy aspects of transmission systems.
- Demonstrated capability to carry out complicated analysis combining multiple sources of data, inputs, and sensitivities.
- Understanding of transmission modeling and planning, financial modeling, risk assessment, and electricity trading and energy market conditions.
- Ability to develop complex financial models.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a strong ability to think independently and facilitate cooperation.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to develop industry contacts, establish relationships, and negotiate outcomes.
- Proficient in using personal computers and Microsoft Excel.
- Position work hours are non-standard.
- Experience in trading merchant transmission physical and financial rights.
- Demonstrated understanding of Company, WECC and CAISO transmission systems and concepts of open access transmission service.
- Experience in electric utility system operations, wholesale power markets, power scheduling and transmission operations.
- Knowledge of WECC and CAISO markets, Energy Imbalance Market, and congestion revenue rights.
- Proficiency in software and automated tools/platforms used in transmission systems, transmission analysis and energy trading/scheduling including but not limited to OATI/PCI products, PowerWorld, programming (VBA, R, Python).
Req ID: 106608
Company Code: PacifiCorp
Primary Location: Portland, Oregon
Department: Pacific Power
Personnel Subarea: Exempt
Hiring Range: $95,800 – $112,700
This position is eligible for an annual discretionary performance incentive bonus of up to 35% of salary.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation.
At PacifiCorp, we encourage everyone to work together. We embrace diversity and value the distinct perspectives of all our employees. We strive to cultivate a workplace that connects each employee to the organization and enables all individuals to participate and contribute to their full potential.
It is PacifiCorp’s policy to provide and promote equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants in accordance with local, state and federal laws and regulations governing personnel activities. In accordance with federal guidelines, PacifiCorp is committed to a program of affirmative action. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screening.
Career Segment: Engineer, Equity, Supply, Sustainability, Financial, Engineering, Finance, Operations, Energy