Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a full-time Research Assistant to support a study evaluating yoga as a treatment for chronic musculoskeletal pain. The research is comparing the feasibility of yoga for pain management delivered via a tablet/computer to participants at home (“teleyoga”) as compared to in-person yoga groups.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Assistant will assist with subject recruitment, consenting study subjects, data collection, and communication with the study sponsors. The Bayley lab, located at the Palo Alto VA, is focused on using mind-body interventions, such as yoga and meditation, for rehabilitation treatments for chronic pain and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The Research Assistant will work under the direction of Dr. Peter Bayley, Director of Research at War Related Illness and Injury Study Center and Clinical Associate Professor at Stanford School of Medicine.
This is a full-time position located in Palo Alto, CA. The Research Assistant will have work from home flexibility most of the time, but site visit will be required, so the ideal candidate will need to reside in the Bay area.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 13 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Identify, screen, recruit, and enroll study subjects; Work with subjects to complete enrollment questionnaire;
- Explain the study procedures to subjects and obtain informed consent; Answer any study-related questions from the study subjects;
- Schedule subject visits and collaborate with clinic staff as needed; Schedule follow-up tests/visits as needed;
- Report adverse events in a timely manner;
- Maintain subject record data and binders per sponsor direction;
- Assist with the monitoring of regulatory aspects of the study;
- Collect, enter, and maintain data in study databases; Manage the database for internal and external audits and prepare summary reports;
- Conduct basic data analysis under supervision;
- Submit and assist with local IRB submissions and coordinate responses to local IRB requests for additional information;
- Review protocols for compliance with accepted research guidelines and ensure compliance with protocol guidelines and requirements of regulatory agencies and HIPAA regulations;
- Educate staff members on study design and timelines;
- Review documents and monitor the study protocol for continuous quality improvement;
- Develop outreach materials and study advertisements;
- Educate and communicate with patients, families, referring physicians, local IRB, study sponsors, and the FDA;
- Assist in the determination of guidelines for the collection of clinical data or administration of clinical studies;
- Assist with initial patient recruitment strategy and prepare associated materials for IRB submission;
- Coordinate and implement procedures for data collection from patient charts, medical records, interviews, questionnaires, diagnostics tests, and other sources.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- At least one year of experience in the healthcare or research environment, handling sensitive health data, interacting with patients and assisting with administrative processes;
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience;
- Ability to understand VA regulations and procedures regarding research;
- Familiarity and/or interest in clinical research;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Good interpersonal skills to interact with study subjects;
- Basic math skills;
- Ability to read and understand the study protocol;
- Previous experience in follow-up data collection;
- Ability to comply with technical guidelines;
- Good time-management and prioritization skills;
- Ability to complete directed tasks independently;
- Assertiveness and creativity in the identification and resolution of barriers to progress.
- Master’s degree;
- 2+ years of related experience, including subject recruitment, interacting with patients involved in research and/or therapeutic setting;
- Knowledge and interest in complementary and integrative health, especially yoga desired;
- Knowledge of pain treatment or therapies highly desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: You will be required to sit, walk, type, grasp objects, stand, push, pull, carry and lift up to 10 lbs.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to office and hospital/clinical environment. Will encounter patients who have impaired cognitive function, anxious, and/or difficult.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must click on the green Apply Externally button. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.