Position(s) will be located within the following offices:
Cerritos, Glendale, Irvine, Oakland, San Diego, and San Jose.
The State of California’s Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) is looking for enthusiastic and self-motivated individuals with strong communication and analytical skills to join our team. The Business Taxes Representative position is an entry-level professional position that provides excellent potential for personal development and career advancement. As a Business Taxes Representative, you will use your analytical skills to determine how best to resolve delinquent sales and use tax accounts effectively and efficiently. You will have support from your team members and supervisor.
The Business Taxes Representative performs business inspections to verify accurate tax reporting under the Statewide Compliance and Outreach Program (SCOP). The BTR conducts field observations, performs routine case reviews, prepares investigation reports, and assists in identifying underreporting and unregistered businesses. When reporting deficiencies are encountered, the incumbent solicits amended tax returns and, with the direction of the supervisor. The duties performed by this position are primarily carried out in the field.
This position performs a variety of tasks, including the following:
- Prepares routine audit leads for review
- Communicating via calls, written correspondence, and in-person
- Conducting field visits at the taxpayer’s business and/or other locations
- Educating taxpayers
- Provides advisory information to business owners to make sure they understand how the tax laws, rules and regulations
- Analyzing account and business financials
- Researching for assets
- Initiating collection actions
- Negotiating payment arrangements
- Documenting interactions with taxpayers