The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity for a Business Systems Analyst (Information Systems Specialist 5) in Hillsboro, Oregon.
What you will do!
You will provide a variety of technical, analytical, and data steward services to the Laboratory programs. This will include supporting Laboratory business needs regarding coordination, data management, reporting, planning, and business system analysis, as well as supporting Commercial Off the Shelf Systems (COTS) used to house the laboratory water and air quality data.
What’s in it for you!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: 4 years of information systems experience OR a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Information systems experience in communications, software, hardware, and data.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, SQL, SSRS, R studio, current Visual Studio, .NET and other data manipulation software.
- Experience developing, collecting, modeling, and managing data sets and systems, preferably environmental data sets.
- Experience designing small databases, data tables, queries, and reports.
- Experience conducting system analysis, including identifying system requirements and choosing appropriate data management tools.
- Experience developing processes, procedures, and techniques.
- Excellent analytical skills, planning skills, organizational skills, time management skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional IT staff, and system users.
- Experience analyzing and diagnosing user problems and implementing solutions.
Work is primarily in a professional office setting with multiple demands on time. There may be extended working hours during legislative sessions or emergencies. The location of the office is within an environmental laboratory with the potential for exposures to chemicals, heat, cold, steep or unstable surfaces, stairs, bending, stooping, and lifting. This position requires occasional travel on official State business for meetings, conferences, trainings, and public hearings, some of which may include overnight stays.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity. DEQ is an E-Verify employer and will use E-Verify to confirm that hires are authorized to work in the United States.