• Accelerate the long-term, sustainable growth of LSS services through the identification and pursuit of opportunities such as strategic partnerships, mergers & acquisitions, services expansion, and/or the addition of new programs.
• Manage a portfolio of growth-related projects, collaborate with Senior Directors, and lead cross-functional teams from scoping and ideation through prioritization, strategy development and execution.
• Support LSS Senior Leaders’ development and skill-building related to growth strategy development and implementation.
Growth Strategy Development and Execution – 50%
• Provide growth strategy development process expertise to LOS, primarily Senior Directors, to direct the successful development and execution of targeted services
• Elevate potential growth opportunities to the supervisor and collaboratively utilize the existing growth opportunity assessment framework to evaluate and prioritize projects
• Provide process expertise in human-centered design or similar methodologies to direct program re/design for higher client value
• Provide expert consultation to LOS on value proposition development, business model design, market research, and service pricing for viability
• Project manage cross-functional teams and collaborate with other Central Service leaders to leverage internal expertise and maximize the outputs of each project
• Develop and track measures to ensure and demonstrate high impact of the portfolio (i.e. increase in people served, service outcome improvement, revenue and margin growth)
• Represent LSS and our multi-year strategic objectives with current and potential external partners
Market Research – 30%
• Develop a routine process and report for assessment of industry attractiveness and market need for our LOS
• Utilize existing data, research, and reports to become expert in priority industries and markets of LSS
• Assess market/industry trends and map LSS to their status
• Synthesize large quantities of disparate data into digestible reports/presentations and actionable recommendations for executive-level leaders
LSS Leadership Education – 15%
• In collaboration with the supervisor, identify opportunities for senior leadership education on growth-related topics (i.e. negotiation, testing a new product, partnership development best practice, etc.)
• Develop participatory workshops/trainings
• Deliver the trainings and record them for easy ongoing access on OneLSS/LMS Pathways
Human Resource and Administrative Management – 5%
• Hire, onboard, and coach interns
• Assess and assign work that advances Business Development priorities and projects
• Conduct performance reviews
• Maintain up-to-date records and reports
Other duties as assigned
Scope of Position
The Business Development Manager is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and executing opportunities for LSS service growth in alignment with our multi-year strategic objectives. These opportunities include, but are not limited to, expanding into new geographies, developing new programs, mergers, acquisitions, and strategic partnerships. Opportunities typically fall within Minnesota or neighboring states. The primary level within which this role operates is with Senior Directors and Associate-Vice Presidents.
Number of Direct Reports (Indicate number, FTEs*, & titles):
• 1, .2 FTE, Market Research Intern
Number of Indirect Reports (Indicate number, FTEs*, & titles):
Budget Responsibility (Size and level of responsibility):
Type of guidance and supervision received (Level of guidance/supervision):
• Work independently with minimal guidance from supervisor. The identification and scoping of growth projects is conducted in collaboration with supervisor. Otherwise, this role is responsible for independently leading strategic projects for service growth through execution.
• Responsible for providing information and recommendations to supervisor for collaborative prioritization. Will independently determine plan for next steps/execution.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Non-profit Administration, Communications or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
• Three or more years’ experience in relationship-building, strategic planning, sales, development, and/or project management
• Skills in financial reporting, projections, and market analysis
• Demonstrated high capacity for building relationships and leveraging those relationships for growth
• The capacity to be highly adaptive to different work/personal cultures and work from a racial equity lens
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently
• Strong presentation skills
• Valid driver’s license and preferably access to a car
Essential Physical & Mental Functions:
• Moving about the environment, communicating, responding, and driving a motor vehicle.
• Reading, writing, basic math skills, problem solving, computer skills that support LSS technology, effective communication skills, ability to think critically to implement strategies related to enhancing LSS LOS, patience, self-control and flexibility.
Percentage time spent away from main office/location (Travel required within position):
Percentage time spent in direct care (Working directly with clients/individuals we support):