The Cleveland Guardians are seeking a biomechanics analyst to join the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The position will use the team’s proprietary in-game motion capture data to build tools and resources to acquire and develop players. The ideal candidate will possess a foundation in statistics and/or data science, experience working with biomechanics data, and a thorough understanding of pitching and/or hitting movement patterns. Strong applicants will demonstrate curiosity, creativity, and a drive to learn new concepts. We are open to a remote role for the right candidate, but relocation to Cleveland, OH is preferred. We can also be flexible on start dates.
If you meet some of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply or to reach out for more information. We know that historically marginalized groups – including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – and groups that may not have direct experience in the sports industry – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet every requirement for a job. Therefore, we encourage you to reach out if you have questions about the role or your qualifications. We are happy to help you feel ready to apply!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and interpret baseball biomechanics data.
- Process biomechanics data into digestible reports for end users.
- Educate colleagues about baseball biomechanics concepts and data processing techniques.
- Research, build, test, and deploy statistical and/or machine learning models using baseball biomechanics data.
- Communicate research findings to key stakeholders across the organization.
- Demonstrated experience or degree in a field such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, operations research, data science, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, or kinesiology.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way.
- Passion for baseball analytics and/or biomechanics.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. R, Python, OpenSim, Visual3D).
We are looking for a variety of skill sets. If you have demonstrated experience with any of the following, you may be who we are looking for.
- Demonstrated experience working with a biomechanics scripting language (e.g. OpenSim, Visual3D).
- Demonstrated experience working with biomechanics data in baseball or another application area.
- Demonstrated experience with signal processing techniques.
- Knowledge of publicly available biomechanics research and technologies.
- Demonstrated biomechanics research experience.
- Demonstrated experience with database languages (e.g. SQL).
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
In Baseball Operations and Baseball Research & Development, our shared goal is to identify and develop diverse players and front office teammates who contribute to our mission. By working together effectively and collaboratively, we create a family atmosphere that supports learning as we strive for excellence in everything we do. We believe that we will achieve our goals by making evidence and model-based decisions and creating environments that support our people and empower them to learn.