View job on Handshake
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS ENGINEER, SATELLITE DEVELOPMENT SUPPLY CHAIN
The satellite development supply chain team is growing to support our R&D satellite programs that are pushing the boundaries of in-space capabilities. Our missions support scientific research, classified national security space and commercial opportunities. As we grow our launch manifest, we are looking for engineers to join our team in a role that intersects design, manufacturing, and strategic sourcing.
- Collaborate with design engineers to gain an in-depth knowledge piece part, assembly, and/or sub-system design intent
- Support procurement team to strategically source parts matched with supplier competencies by reviewing and assessing supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems
- Create and define supplier technical and quality requirements based on customer and program requirements and expectations for NPI and production phases
- Implement and monitor production part approval process (PPAP) with selected suppliers to enable rate production
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements
- Develop and approve process controls to control critical characteristics
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes to drive supplier improvement plans
- Provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Drive supplier corrective actions associated with any escapes or containments identified in SpaceX production or the SpaceX supply chain
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, & courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects, and continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 1+ years of experience in manufacturing engineering, design engineering or other supply chain disciplines
- 1+ years of experience in harnessing, avionics, PCB and/or PCBA manufacturing
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in electrical, materials, or mechanical engineering
- Advanced degree in engineering or business
- Proven track record of taking ownership, successfully negotiating preferred pricing and driving results
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods, e.g., design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience with Quality Systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving – 8D
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Conducts all activities with the highest level of integrity
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to travel: Up to 25-60% work week travel is required
- Valid driver’s license
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.