View job on Handshake
Avanir’s Summer Internship Program is scheduled to run from June – August. The goal of the Avanir Internship Program is to provide real-world business experience to undergraduate/graduate university students through a variety of tailored assignment/projects.
The interns will gain both industry specific experience as well as general business acumen. The program will promote learning with specific learning goals, training opportunities, team building activities, networking opportunities, and a final project presentation.
Internship responsibilities will be assigned upon the student’s general area of interest and course of study, as well as the immediate needs and resources of Avanir along with an appropriate and professional Avanir mentor lead.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for completing a project involving strategic business matters.
- Work both independently and within a team on special, nonrecurring and ongoing projects.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of decision-making, and project management skills.
- Perform other administrative tasks to assist and support the department as needed.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level program and taking classes at an accredited program or institution
- Completed at least two years of school if attending a four-year university
- Declared major in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biology/Biological Sciences, Business, Information and Computer Science, Law, Finance, Pharmacy, Marketing, Communication or related field preferred
- Available during the entire program period (6/20-8/19)
- Solid organizational, communication and analytical skills are required
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to manage multiple tasks and work individually (independently) as well as on a team
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to work within established timelines, manage time to maximize productivity
- Participants on this internship must provide their own housing.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point, and have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations will also be considered
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Avanir’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential to realizing our mission, vision and values. We recognize that differences in age, race, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background enrich our work environment and help us better serve patients, caregivers, customers and the broader community. We are committed to developing an inclusive workplace that attracts and retains diverse individuals and creates opportunities for growth and advancement.
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.