View job on Handshake
If you are someone who is analytical, has great attention to detail, likes to collaborate, and is looking to start their career with the best company in the water & wastewater business–look no further! This position will be based out of our Sacramento office and will be working alongside those in our Rates & Regulatory team to Keep life flowing ® for our customers!
In addition to working with a great team, we offer fantastic benefits to include medical, dental, vision, 401k (and more!), and we also have a hybrid working schedule where you can work two days from home per week.
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
Support the preparation and development of the financial analysis and the compliance reporting requirements to support state/operational business partners in all rate and regulatory matters. Support the completion of exhibits, work papers, interrogatories, and writing testimony to sponsor in a timely and accurate fashion. Support regulatory reporting, preparation of financial information and operational data necessary for filing complete and timely rate applications and reports to state regulatory commissions. Process rate changes and implement changes with Billing and T&I teams
- Provide support in analysis that supports operational/state business partners in the filing of base rate cases and alternative regulatory mechanisms (DSIC, RAC, trackers, etc.). Ensure the financial support is complete, accurate and timely prepared meeting all filing deadlines.
- Support the preparation and development of the pro forma adjustments that are relied upon to support base rate case requests and alternative regulatory mechanisms.
- Support the accurate preparation of rate case support schedules, testimony, and exhibits. Prepares written testimony (written and oral),
- for others to sponsor and sponsors noncontroversial adjustments in rate filings.
- Drafts responses to interrogatories for schedules and exhibits they assisted in preparing.
- Supports the preparation of financial support that is relied upon by Company consultants in areas such as: cost of service studies, return on equity, capital structure, depreciation studies, service company costs, Lead/Lag studies, etc.
- Provide support to the regulatory process by preparing routine filings that respond to requests from the Commission or comply with regulatory compliance requirements from previous Orders.
Additional Key Accountabilities
- Analyze routine utility applications, reports, financial records, and cost studies.
- Supports the research and performance of comparative analyses of public utility issues.
- Supports the building and maintaining the Rates Knowledge community, SharePoint, and in assisting in the development of best practices.
- Provides support in using SharePoint applications in the regulatory area to drive efficiencies.
- Assist in measuring and assessing activities to drive continuous process improvements across function.
Working knowledge of:
- Economic principles relating to utility rates and cost analysis
- Fundamental accounting concepts and understanding of analytical concepts for financial analysis as well as US GAAP accounting practices
- Data collection, research, statistical and cost analysis
- Business report writing, preparation and delivery of presentations
- Audit, review and analyze business and financial records
- Execution and analysis using company business technologies
- Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel) with particular expertise in Microsoft Excel
- Must have the ability to review data and make appropriate decisions regarding public utility operations and to project future costs for noncontroversial issues
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, accounting, business or a closely related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to five years of pertinent regulatory financial experience.
- Utility industry experience a plus.
- General Office Work Environment