View job on Handshake
The Atlantic Council seeks a talented, action-oriented, entrepreneurial thinker to develop and manage relationships with the International Advisory Board (IAB) and Board of Directors. Members of these groups range from global business executives to current and former US and international government leaders and congressional staffers. Along with managing board governance issues, the associate director will be an integral part of the Council’s efforts in developing and implementing effective strategies to attract individuals and funding to the organization’s work.
The Associate Director will work closely with the Executive Office in spearheading preparations for regular quarterly Executive Committee meetings, bi-annual Nominating and Governance Committee meetings, and other special board meetings, including administrative and strategic planning tasks. S/he will also manage board governance and oversight issues and will ensure that Atlantic Council Bylaws are adhered to.
Working collaboratively with the Engagement team, the Associate Director will support the Atlantic Council’s awards dinners and other major fundraising initiatives and will develop and implement strategies for post-event cultivation and solicitation. S/he will also oversee member-specific programming, including the annual IAB meeting and annual board dinner.
- Manage logistical and substantive preparations for and execution of board meetings
- Develop and implement fundraising campaigns
- Develop and implement strategic business plans to develop new opportunities for expansion of membership, including both substantive policy experts and high net worth individuals
- Identify funding prospects and develop and execute strategies to secure those opportunities
- Effectively manage and forecast budgets
- Graduate degree and minimum of 5 years experience in a similar position; 8+ years experience may be considered in lieu of a graduate degree
- Self-motivated and results-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals
- Strong interpersonal skills at all levels
- Impeccable communication (written and oral) and networking skills; Experience in proposal writing preferred
- Working knowledge of executive office operations
- Demonstrated research and writing skills. Journalism or research background helpful
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Superior Internet research skills
- Willingness to work late evenings or weekends as needed.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills are essential
- Self-starter and results-oriented individual who can meet tight deadlines and work in an ever-changing environment
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong project management experience, including organization and budget management
- Be a self-starter and work well with a team
- Experience in event planning and database management highly desirable
- International experience or background in international affairs is a plus