View job on Handshake
Department: StoryCorps Studios
Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY (open to remote)
Reports To: Director, Strategic Engagement & Custom Services
Status: Full Time, Regular, Exempt, Non-union
StoryCorps Studios applies the award-winning methodologies of StoryCorps to tell brand stories through the voices of real people. Leading brands hire StoryCorps Studios to create content that resonates — from Fortune 100 companies to philanthropic and educational institutions.
The primary service we provide is recording and archiving high-quality, facilitated StoryCorps conversations and producing co-branded audio stories with accompanying visual assets to support our clients in sharing the voices and stories of their communities through compelling personal narrative. The department engages with approximately 25 organizations per year. Recent partners include the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Museum, Innocence Project, Delta Air Lines, and more.
The Associate Director, Business Development will play a critical role as part of a eight-person team, developing and implementing a proactive business development plan, as we look towards scaling and a five-year growth plan. Reporting to Director, Strategic Engagement & Custom Services, the Business Development Manager will develop vertical specific marketing and outreach, to support the fulfillment of the department’s $1.7 million earned revenue goal in 2022 with an ambitious plan to double revenue within five years.
A successful candidate will be an experienced sales professional with an entrepreneurial mindset and a proven track record of meeting or exceeding revenue goals; an excellent communicator and collaborator; and an ambitious self-starter with a passion for achieving revenue goals in support of a mission-driven organization.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. We also seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Capitalize on the demand for StoryCorps services, turning leads into confirmed partnerships, in collaboration with the Director, and on your own.
- Identify strategies to proactively pitch StoryCorps’ services, including researching and building prospective client lists,in order to meet or exceed annual revenue targets.
- Research market trends, develop and execute outreach strategies, and represent StoryCorps to the public in meetings and speaking engagements, proactively marketing services to bring awareness to StoryCorps Studios.
- Identify potential client’s priorities and develop customized partnership packages and pitch decks to meet their goals while highlighting StoryCorps Studios unique selling points.
- Negotiate five-to-six figure partnerships, including leading the contracting process in collaboration with the organization’s legal counsel and the Director.
- Work closely with the Associate Director, Creative Operations and Account Managers to develop appropriate partnership timelines, and support their work to renew partnerships.
- Manage and track the overall business development process, including the new business pipeline, sales leads and related dashboard reports related in Salesforce.
- Manage partner communications, including developing emails, newsletters, and social media activity, in collaboration with the Marketing + Communications department.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence/humility and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment
- Perform other duties to support the StoryCorps Studios department, as assigned.
- You have 5-7 years of experience in b2b sales and a proven track record of meeting and exceeding progressively increased revenue goals within a creative agency, business development department, nonprofit, public media organization, or related field.
- You are professionally polished, entrepreneurial, detail oriented yet versatile, analytical, and you excel in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- You are an exceptional communicator, talking to people comes very naturally to you. You have an ability to communicate and present complex information in a way that people understand both verbally and in writing.
- You have worked in a client-facing role and are comfortable managing client expectations.
- You have strong collaborative and teamwork skills, and ability to organize, expedite, problem-solve, and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously, working within and across diverse groups and teams.
- You’re passionate about the StoryCorps mission and thrive in a diverse working environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
StoryCorps’ mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Since our founding in 2003, StoryCorps has provided half a million of people of all backgrounds and beliefs with powerful opportunities to record interviews about their lives, and leave a legacy for future generations in our archive at the Library of Congress. We bring these interviews to life in stories produced for broadcast on public media (including our weekly Friday morning broadcast on NPR’s “Morning Edition”), our podcast, and/or our animations. Together, these stories reach an audience of tens of millions. StoryCorps maintains a relentless focus on diversity, and seeks to highlight voices often underrepresented in mainstream media. While our stories honor and celebrate the diversity of humankind, they also remind us of the many values and experiences we share in common, building bridges of greater understanding.
Our work has been widely recognized with several George Foster Peabody Awards, a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, the 2015 TED Prize, and a 2016 Emmy award for our animation “Traffic Stop.”
This work couldn’t be accomplished without the unwavering commitment of the exceptional individuals who make up our organization. Our people are brilliant, hard-working, creative, and incredibly passionate about the vision we share: To touch the lives of every person in this country and to create a culture of listening in the United States.
All offers of employment requiring on-site/in-person work will be contingent on the candidate being Fully Vaccinated (at least two-weeks after last dose) prior to starting their new role. As of December 27, 2021 by order of the Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene all employees working in-office are required to provide proof of the COVID-19 Vaccination in the Workplace. Reasonable accommodations can be discussed with HR personnel for individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to medical or religious reasons. Proof of vaccination status is required at the time of extending the offer.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.