View job on Handshake
Analyst, Private Equity
50 South Capital (www.50southcapital.com) is the private equity investment group within Northern Trust. 50 South Capital’s private equity group makes primary, secondary, and direct co-investments in buyout and venture capital funds and companies in the U.S., Europe and Asia. The team has extensive experience investing in the industry and has been led by its founding partners since 2000. It oversees over $12.5 billion in assets and is experiencing rapid growth.
The individual in the two year Analyst position will participate in all of the group’s activities, including investments, fundraising and portfolio management. This will include screening investment opportunities; meeting fund management teams; completing due diligence, including valuations and modeling; participating in various portfolio monitoring tasks and data analysis projects; creating and updating marketing materials; and participating in fundraising related initiatives.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
· Preparing financial analysis in support of the firm’s due diligence on private equity fund/secondary/direct investment opportunities.
· Evaluating a firm’s strategy and historical track record versus industry benchmarks; tracking industry-wide and fund specific investment and liquidity data; modeling fund cash flows and transaction structures; working with valuation models and projection models; reference calls; and compiling information for investment committee presentations.
· Supporting general duties within the primary, secondary, and direct investment functions, including monitoring the universe of buyout and venture capital fund managers, and meeting with these managers as part of the diligence process.
· Assisting with business development and investor relations projects, such as maintaining marketing and quarterly performance presentations, creating industry white papers, and working with the back office team.
· Position may require some travel.
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
· High attention to detail.
· Strong work ethic.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work within a collegial, team environment.
· Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
· Highly-developed analytical ability, curiosity.
· Ability to prioritize workload and to work on a number of projects concurrently.
· Strong business and interpersonal judgment skills with ability to assess both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of an investment.
· Understanding of how financial markets work, particularly private equity.
· Knowledge of basic financial analysis and the valuation of private companies.
· Highly proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Must be comfortable representing the firm to outside constituencies in a professional way.
· Bachelor’s degree, with a major in business, finance, accounting, or economics preferred; also engineering.
· 0-1 years of experience with leveraged finance, consulting, public accounting, corporate finance or private equity.