View job on Handshake
Organization: TEXAS EDUCATION AGENCY
Primary Location: Texas-Austin
Work Locations: Texas Education Agency 1701 NORTH CONGRESS AVENUE Austin 78701
Job: Computer and Mathematical
Employee Status: Regular
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
State Job Code: 0653
Salary Admin Plan: B
Salary (Pay Basis): 4,917.00 – 6,488.50 (Monthly)
Number of Openings: 1
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Posting: Dec 14, 2021, 2:15:24 PM
Closing Date: Ongoing
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
Please note that this role is a term position and is set to end 9 months from the selected candidate’s start date.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Division of Educator Data, Research, and Strategy (EDRS) provides analytical leadership and support for departments across the Office of Educator Systems and Support. EDRS supports the Educator Preparation, Certification, and Enforcement (EPCE) department in the collection, reporting, and analysis of data related to the preparation and certification of educators, and the oversight of educator preparation programs (EPPs).
This is a 9-month limited term analyst position supporting technical and analytical work completed by the EDRS-EPCE team. The person in this position is responsible for three separate endeavors.
1) This analyst supports the development of the teacher supply and demand monitoring system by creating technical documentation, writing and reviewing SAS program code and data for quality, and developing dashboards to allow for use of data.
2) The analyst updates documentation and data sets associated with annual monitoring of the Accountability System for Educator Preparation.
3) This analyst provides expertise about EDRS-EPCE produced data to build a performance management strategy to monitor the implementation and effects, providing EPPs with data, analyses, and visualizations.
Please note that a resume and tailored cover letter are required attachments for applying to this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Additionally, please be sure to respond to the short answer prompts found in the supplemental questions. These responses should be added in a separate Word or PDF document in the attachments section of the application.
Applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
Flexible work location within the state of Texas may be considered for qualified candidates.
- Maintain, disseminate, and monitor information about the Accountability System for Educator Preparation
- Support technical and data quality review, documentation, and analytic needs for the development of the teacher supply and demand monitoring tool
- Build, update, and maintain existing and emerging dashboards, reports, and other data products developed in PowerBI and SAS in support of ongoing work in the EDRS-EPCE division
- Design and implement metrics to measure the impact of initiatives to provide EPPs with data, analyses, and visualizations.
- Collaborate with Educator Data, Research, and Strategy team members to give and receive critical feedback about data and visualization products.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
Experience: At least three (3) years of experience in data analysis, research, compilation, and/or reporting work.
Substitutions: An advanced degree may substitute for two years of required experience.
- Share the belief that all Texas students can achieve at high levels and are able to succeed in college, career, or the military
- Share the belief that all Texas teacher candidates need a high-quality preparation experience
- Knowledge of statistical processes used in fields including education policy research, econometrics, demography, education efficacy, and predictive analytics
- Skill in using statistical software, including strong skills in SAS (or similar statistical software)
- Expertise with programming techniques and languages used in relational databases, including SQL
- Experience in developing tools in business intelligence software, including PowerBI
- Practice analyzing policies and practices used in state or federal K-12 education systems
- Knowledge of state and federal data sources that correspond with K-12 education and teacher preparation
- Proficiency in writing technical documentation about research methodologies or data definitions
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Experience with record keeping, including security procedures for handling, protecting and distribution of confidential data
- Ability to plan, organize, manage, and execute multiple work streams and projects at a high quality with minimal supervision
- A desire to self-reflect, give & receive feedback, and continuously learn
- Ability to engage in a collaborative, results-oriented team environment
- Experience with Texas education data preferred
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran’s preference.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not accept telephone calls and cannot reply to all email inquiries. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.