View job on Handshake
Barnes & Noble College is a retail partner for nearly 800 colleges and universities nationwide. We offer a retail environment like no other – uniquely focused on delivering essential educational content, tools, and merchandise within a dynamic retail environment on campuses of higher education. Our teams interact directly with our customers including students, faculty, administration, alumni, and the general public to provide outstanding customer service to sell or rent books, general merchandise, and an array of products and services for an academic community.
Barnes & Noble College is seeking a customer-focused, sales-driven, leader to work as a Store Manager in our bookstore. The Store Manager will lead the store in the daily operation of our retail store. You will build and maintain positive relationships with the campus community, supervise employees and departments, work directly with employees, customers, and faculty, and deliver measurable results for the store and for your school. Driving sales, leadership, customer service, team building, and problem solving are essential skills that will be used on a daily basis.
As a Store Manager you are the store’s leader and are accountable for all aspects of the store– financial results, operations, merchandising, talent acquisition, customer service, and campus relations. You will build and maintain positive relationships with the campus community and your Corporate Office partners to create the finest and most profitable bookstore for the school campus community we serve. You will be a people manager and have direct involvement with training, directing, and counseling our team to create customer experiences that enhance bookstore loyalty and deliver measurable results for the store and for your school. Our stores can carry everything from text and trade books, technology, and school supplies to clothing, regalia, and food– everything a college student desires, their parents want, and our faculty needs. A Store Manager must be knowledgeable of and a resource for all departments, model exceptional customer service, drive sales, and be a skillful problem solver.
- Execute developed business strategies and identify opportunities drive sales, increase customer satisfaction, and expand store traffic.
- Strong delegation, follow up, and management skills to maintain outstanding visual merchandising standards, ensure availability of merchandise, maintain appropriate inventories, and complete projects in a deadline driven industry.
- Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and sales through effective scheduling, talent acquisition, training, and development of store team members.
- Ability to identify creative solutions, learn independently, embrace change, and act as a change agent.
- Analyze sales figures, interpret trends, and forecast future sales to manage all controllable costs and keep operations profitable.
- Ensure standards for quality, customer service, and health and safety are met by providing a safe and clean store environment and implementing loss prevention measures.
- Frequent movement within the store to access various departments, areas, and/or products.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods.
- Frequent lifting.
- Occasional reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
Our stores comply with all applicable federal, state and local requirements and/or recommendations regarding social distancing and sanitizing. In accordance with individual campus requirements, positions may require confirmation of vaccination. The use of face masks throughout the day and while on campus may also be expected or required.
- 5+ years’ supervisory experience in a retail setting preferred or a graduate of the Best Seller Program.
- Bachelors in Business Administration or relevant field preferred.
- Leadership experience to direct and develop a workforce of managers and sales associates.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills to manage campus relationships and corporate initiatives while achieving customer sales and service goals.
- Familiarity with financial and customer service principles.
- Basic reading, writing and accounting skills required.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills needed.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Barnes & Noble College is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.