View job on Handshake
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
MITRE operates the Health Federally Funded Research and Development Center (Health FFRDC) on behalf of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). In this capacity, MITRE serves as an objective, independent, not for profit advisor supporting complex analysis and critical thinking requirements that encompass business, policy, technology, and operational interests across HHS.
MITRE looks across the whole of government for ways to create innovative game-changing healthcare solutions by leveraging advanced data management paradigms, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and robust cybersecurity resilience and privacy protection for HHS health programs and ultimately for the benefit of citizens.
The Digital Modernization and Transformation Department (DM&T), a department within the Health FFRDC, seeks an AI Adoption Lead with a focus on the federal healthcare domain to guide government agencies in their journey to adopt, operationalize and mature their use of AI capabilities to address critical national and global challenges in healthcare.
The use of AI requires new or evolved operating principles in areas such as data governance, model management, business transformation, and ethics. As such, the AI Adoption Lead will work with stakeholders to inform, define, and deliver services related to AI adoption strategies and implementation solutions. This role requires fostering a data-driven culture and building credibility that leads to successful, collaborative working relationships between MITRE and HHS operational and staffing divisions.
The AI Adoption Lead will be expected to provide technical and domain expertise in shaping client opportunities and proposals, assist in educating MITRE staff, provide subject matter expertise and thought leadership across project teams, and contribute to technical project work.
As a thought leader and key contributor, this role plays an important function in: developing the division’s AI strategy; connecting client challenges with MITRE expertise and capabilities; and shaping the Health Division’s capability growth in the AI domain through education and training.
- Represent MITRE in interactions with HHS divisions on AI-specific challenges and needs.
- Serve as an AI domain expert and thought leader on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Collaborate with MITRE domain experts and MITRE Innovation Centers in cybersecurity, privacy, and data strategy.
- Maintain knowledge of advances of AI capabilities in the healthcare industry and academia.
- Lead the development of solutions to address client needs leading to securing tasking/contracts from clients.
- Provide guidance to grow MITRE’s AI capabilities as applied to public healthcare and health programs.
- Leverage opportunities for integration and cross-pollination of solutions across projects.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and best practices to increase service impact while achieving key client outcomes.
- Oversee and develop technical artifacts such as research papers, briefing papers, and recommendations to support healthcare program administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related technical discipline.
- 8 years of experience developing, implementing, or using AI solutions involving one or more of the following fields: Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), computer vision, deep learning, neural networks, algorithmic optimization techniques, data science, predictive analytics, and statistical methods and inference.
- Demonstrated experience driving the adoption of AI-based solutions including active identification and balance of risks to alleviate cultural/organizational barriers to AI adoption.
- Experience partnering with business owners, government executives and other domain experts to develop concepts or solutions addressing business or operational problems.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Swiftly change direction and actively shape new ideas and processes as needed.
- Explain complex topics to a variety of audiences such as executives, technical experts, and non-technical teams.
- Articulate AI specific challenges, discuss critical issues, and identify gaps
- Learn new technologies, techniques, processes, languages, platforms, systems and stay abreast of advances in AI capabilities in industry and academia.
- Strong analytic, inferencing, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Linguistics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Natural Sciences, or a related technical discipline.
- 3+ years of experience working in the healthcare field or with federal/state agencies responsible for public health such as HHS and its operational divisions, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Defense Health Agency.
- Demonstrated ability to shape and drive high impact initiatives with senior client executives (e.g., agency CIOs).
- Demonstrated business development experience.
- Understanding of deep learning frameworks such as Keras, Tensorflow, PyTorch, and/or Mxnet.
- Ability to apply deep learning frameworks to operational problems in the healthcare domain.
- Experience with interpretability of deep learning models and algorithmic bias.
- Big Data skills (e.g., Hadoop, Spark)
- Practical experience with statistical analysis (Frequentist and/or Bayesian).
- Experience with text mining tools and techniques including text search (e.g., ELK Stack), entity extraction, summarization, and training.
This requisition requires the ability to obtain the following clearance(s):
Suitability – HHS
Subject to all federal and state laws, rules and regulations, MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who are legally entitled to an exemption under applicable laws so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace.