View job on Handshake
Amazon Robotics Advanced Robotics Internship
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to these questions and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even image yet. We invent new improvements every day.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
This role is a 3-month internship to join AR full-time (40 hours/week) from May 2022 to August 2022. Amazon Robotics internship opportunities will be based in the Greater Boston Area, in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for interns to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
Amazon Robotics is seeking a talented and motivated Engineering student to join the Advanced Robotics team for a summer internship. The candidate will have the opportunity work with senior engineering staff to conduct research, develop, and test software and hardware for next-generation robotic manipulation solutions used in Amazon.com fulfillment operations. Some of the focuses on the Advanced Robotics team involve Robotic controls, manipulation, perception and computer vision. Ideal candidates are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program related to software engineering or robotics, and have strong mechanical and or electrical aptitude, embedded programming, enjoys problem solving and can potentially handle multiple parallel tasks.
The Advanced Robotics Intern will be responsible for:
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team to design and analyze mechanisms, modules or systems
- Identifying creative solutions for challenging problems in robotics and computer vision
- Developing software solutions to test hypotheses and demonstrate new functionality
- Building models, prototyping concepts, conducting tests, collecting data to quantify performance
- Creating milestones and deliverables and tracking status with team
- Developing design documentation and leading reviews with other engineers or interns
- Writing code and unit tests and integrating code with other software and hardware components
- Utilizing Amazon Robotics and Amazon engineering tools, processes and technologies
- Completion of at least junior year of degree program is required
- Degree program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Math or other algorithmic-centric discipline
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
- Sense of humor and willingness to learn
- Solid understanding of principals, theories and concepts in Mechanical, Electrical, or Software engineering
- Experience in controlling actuators using sensors with programmed embedded systems
- Experience with C++, Python, or Matlab, ROS, OpenCV, or PCL
- Hands-on experience with the ability to craft simple proof-of-concept models using hand tools
- Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced agile environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.