Job Description Summary
The Texas Water Development Board is a data driven agency with highly motivated and engaged employees. Our agencys mission is to lead the states efforts in ensuring a secure water future for Texas and its citizens. We are currently seeking a talented IT Business Analyst with proven data background to join our Data Services Department.
Performs advanced (senior-level) business analysis work, developing data technology solutions and project coordination across the Data Services Department. Work involves coordinating the gathering, development, and documentation of user requirements; the review, assessment, and development of business processes; the creation and validation of user acceptance testing; the performance of postimplementation support of systems; and support of the systems development life cycle. Project management and coordination with cross functional teams to develop project schedule, status update, follow ups and issue tracking. Facilitate meetings, forums and coordinate in enterprise initiatives like Data Governance. May supervise the work of others. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Data Services Department.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coordinates the service request life cycle through customer-related service request responses and analysis requirements.
- Elicits business requirements for data needs, develop technical specifications and related artifacts review, and monitors system integration and user acceptance testing prior to implementation.
- Coordinates the analysis of program policies and procedures to determine their effect on automated systems and system functional areas.
- Coordinates and/or analyzes user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems.
- Analyzes computer system capabilities, workflow, scheduling limitations and conduct fit gap analysis.
- Identifies opportunities for improving business processes through automation and assists in the preparation of proposals to develop new systems.
- Identifies potential project risks and difficulties, and designs strategies to mitigate or avoid them.
- Reviews complex project deliverables such as project charters, design documentation, test plans, and risk assessment plans, and provides comments and suggestions to document owners.
- Consults on the data analysis efforts, troubleshoots system problems, and implements solutions.
- Coordinates with outside vendors and contractors to complete projects and service requests.
- Provides complex quality assurance consultation to, or oversight of, projects, assignments, or special initiatives.
- Develops training curriculum and conducts formal training sessions covering assigned systems module.
- Develops the design and/or review of test cases; processes change requests; and manages a projects scope, acceptance, installation, and deployment.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
- Five years of experience in business analysis work.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Two years of experience in data warehouse environment, business Intelligence tools and in process optimization techniques.
- Experience with MS SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, Power BI.
- PMP or Business Analyst certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Data Services Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of software development life cycle and systems development life cycle concepts.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012/2016/2019 and SQL Server Enterprise.
- Knowledge of data modeling, data warehouse, cloud-based technologies, and data visualization.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in business analysis methodologies; in analyzing and evaluating complex information technology applications, policies, and issues.
- Skills in developing creative and workable solutions to complex problems and issues.
- Ability to analyze and interpret technical information including regulations, policies, and automation system documentation/specifications.
- Ability to translate user/business needs into technical specifications.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and integrate business rules into system requirements.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to workdays that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.