Ascentris is a real estate private equity firm focused on core, value-add, and opportunistic office, multifamily, industrial, and retail investments across the U.S. The firm makes investments both directly and through joint ventures in acquisitions and development. The leadership team has been investing together since 2003 and currently manages over $3.0 billion in assets. Ascentris more than doubled its assets under management over the past two years and is expanding through a strategic and disciplined growth plan. Ascentris is seeking innovative, curious, and hardworking individuals who want to take part in furthering Ascentris’ reputation as a preeminent real estate private equity firm in the U.S.
Ascentris is seeking rising college seniors to participate in an intensive ten-week real estate summer analyst program. The program will provide a comprehensive introduction to the Ascentris team, investment strategies, and real estate financial modeling. As members of the team, summer analysts will be exposed to all facets of the real estate industry including investment, development, asset management, capital formation, and sustainability. Ascentris summer analysts will benefit from direct exposure to senior leadership and other business leaders in the community through various projects and social events. The program includes presentations, ad hoc asset management and acquisition responsibilities, technical training modules, and a final capstone project and presentation that will prepare participants for success in a highly competitive industry.
Ascentris’ summer analysts will directly contribute to the management of Ascentris’ portfolio and the growth of the firm. Below are a few points of emphasis within Ascentris:
- ‘Cradle to Grave’ Staffing Structure: Rather than focusing on one stage of an investment life cycle, each Ascentris team works on an investment from acquisition to disposition, also known as ‘cradle to grave’. This structure enables accountability, operational efficiencies, and breadth of experience. Summer analysts will have the opportunity to work on acquisitions, asset management, and dispositions of all property types.
- Broad Exposure to Property Types, Geographic Regions and Investment Strategies: Ascentris invests in office, industrial, multifamily, and retail acquisitions and developments in the top 20 markets in the U.S. While Ascentris’ portfolio consists primarily of value-add investments, the firm analyzes investments ranging from core plus to opportunistic profiles. Summer analysts will have the opportunity to work across asset classes, geographies, and investment strategies, gaining broad exposure to the U.S. commercial real estate market.
- Collaborative Investment Team: Ascentris believes in an ‘open door’ collaborative work environment with dynamic teams and varied backgrounds. Investments each have dedicated teams, however no two investments are staffed the same. Summer analysts will gain exposure to everyone at Ascentris from the analysts to senior management, allowing for the opportunity to learn from the collective experiences of the investment team.
- Mentorship and Professional Development: Ascentris prioritizes mentorship and professional growth. In addition to learning technical real estate investment skills, summer analysts will get the opportunity to develop professional, presentation, and critical thinking skills via research assignments, mock investment committees, and day-to-day investment analysis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the execution of the firm’s investment strategies through working with the investment teams on new acquisitions and existing property business plans.
- Participate in a comprehensive training program taught by all members of the Ascentris team. The program concludes with an end-of-summer presentation to the Ascentris Investment Committee.
- Within an investment team, use data to evaluate all types of real estate opportunities by analyzing market trends, industry research, and supply/demand fundamentals to help the company make informed investment decisions.
- Create and maintain complex financial models using MS Excel, ARGUS Enterprise, and other industry tools to forecast cash flows and financial return metrics for new and existing investments.
- Assist with structuring business plans, performing due diligence, and preparing investment memos for Investment Committee.
- Support the investment team with asset management and reporting processes for existing properties by maintaining underwriting models, reviewing third-party financial reports, creating internal analyses/valuations and making recommendations for investment opportunities.
- Experience: Rising college seniors pursuing a B.A. / B.S. in Business, Real Estate, Finance, Investment Management, Engineering, Mathematics, Economics or other fields which promote critical thinking skills (preferred but not required).
- Curiosity: Being proactive in seeking out new learning opportunities is a critical component of our culture. A strong candidate is motivated by new projects and initiatives and possesses drive, enthusiasm, creativity, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Dynamic: As a part of the team, summer analysts are asked to become knowledgeable across geographies and property types. The ability to easily move between topics and multiple projects simultaneously is important. A strong candidate is exceptional at managing time and prioritizing workflows in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical Problem Solver: A strong candidate can apply data and logic effectively to support decisions. Understanding of financial models and metrics (IRR, NPV, Discount Rates, etc.) is preferred but not required.
- Communicator: Real estate is built on relationships and efficient and effective decision making. A strong candidate possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Team Player: A strong candidate can work independently, as a team member, and as a team leader. Employees at Ascentris share ideas and grow together.
- Values: Ascentris’ core values are critically important to the firm, and we believe our success internally and externally is predicated upon our ability to IREACH. Please learn more at www.ascentris.com/culture/.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please choose and briefly describe your top two or three recent activities that best showcase your accomplishments. We know these activities are likely reflected in your resume, but we want to provide you the option to share more about your roles and/or achievements that might not be reflected there.
- We recommend you spend 10-15 minutes completing this portion of the application. We understand that you can add value in a variety of experiences and are most interested in areas you have had the most impact.