View job on Handshake
2023 PhD Fellowship Programme (Monetary and Economic Department)
At the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), our mission is to support central banks’ pursuit of monetary and financial stability through international cooperation, and to act as a bank for central banks.
The PhD Fellowship Programme at the BIS gives you the opportunity to contribute to BIS economic research and analysis, working with expert economists and research analysts in a unique environment in Basel, Switzerland.
BIS research draws strength from our unique position as a platform for international cooperation to promote monetary and financial stability, leveraging our close contacts with the central banking and financial supervisory community. This programme helps you acquire practical experience in supporting central banks and other financial authorities through policy-oriented research.
Given our modest size we can easily collaborate and exchange ideas with colleagues in different units and managers at different levels. You will enjoy exposure to ideas and projects beyond your immediate speciality and will play a valuable part in supporting the central bank community.
Duration: between three and 11 months
Start date: flexible
What you can expect
- Contributing to BIS research projects on topical issues in economics and finance, including in particular financial intermediation and regulation, financial innovation and digitisation, monetary policy, fiscal policy, international finance and international spillovers
- Working in a highly stimulating, international environment providing exposure to a wide range of topics
- Embedding in the Monetary and Economic Department with regular interaction with staff and first-hand insight into BIS research and policy work
- Access to BIS research activities, including to seminar series and to visiting research fellows from leading academic institutions
What we look for
- Enrolment in a PhD programme in economics, finance or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of financial and monetary economics, with specialisation in topics relevant to the BIS research agenda
- Experience in conducting research in relevant fields
- Ability to apply tools used in economic analysis to a range of topics
What we offer
In return, we offer a contract for a period between three months and up to 11 months, a competitive net of tax salary, health insurance coverage and travel and relocation assistance. In addition, thanks to our status as an international organization, we can hire globally and welcome applications from candidates of all nationalities and located anywhere in the world.
Who we are
The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) is a diverse and inclusive organisation with colleagues from over 60 countries. By joining us in the international city of Basel, you will work in a unique, highly rewarding, and international work environment. We truly value diversity and inclusion and want to reflect the world we serve. We want the best people to work for us in an inclusive environment so welcome applications from all qualified candidates. At the BIS, we value equality and diversity in all its forms and one way we support diversity and inclusion is through our staff-run networks. You can discover more about diversity and inclusion at the BIS here.
Application process: To apply please submit your CV (in English) including the names of at least two referees and a cover letter summarising your research topics.
Application deadline: 30 September 2022
Application link: https://lde.tbe.taleo.net/lde01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BIS&cws=1&rid=1047
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.