About the Role
Our passion is what sets us apart – we’re not just here to execute, but also to learn, grow and innovate on what’s next. Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. We designed our 9–10-week program to include many elements to help you contribute and grow during your summer at Gap Inc.
The Gap Inc. Summer Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their technical skills & knowledge as well as exposure to the dynamic & evolving tech-stack of one of the largest digital apparel businesses in the world. You will work on impactful, innovative projects that transform our supply chain and e-commerce business, and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. Interns who meet & exceed their individual goal plans during the summer will receive a full-time job offer to begin after graduation.
In addition to daily work and projects we invite you to participate in fun interactive events that bring our interns together as a group throughout the summer for a variety of experiences ranging from cooking classes, executive speaker series, trivia hour, & more!
The Data & Analytics team at Gap Inc. uses methods from data science and data analytics to drive business benefits for Gap Inc. and its brands. The team’s focus is creating analytical capabilities and strategic analyses to support Gap Inc. across areas of marketing, customer, inventory, and supply chain. Some examples of the types of projects done on the team include product and customer forecasting, price and inventory optimization, marketing analytics, customer personalization models and supply chain modeling.
The team is looking for individuals for two different tracks; data scientists and data analysts and will review applications across both skill sets.
What You’ll Do
- Please note that this role will be full time 40 hours a week from mid-June through mid-August
- Apply methods from data science and machine learning (data scientist track), data analysis and statistics (data analysis track) to solve a business problem for Gap Inc, in one of the following areas of focus: inventory, marketing, customer, or supply chain.
- Methods from Operations Research or Industrial Engineering including optimization and simulation may also be utilized if student is placed in inventory or supply chain teams.
- Write code to retrieve data, perform data analysis and do statistical modeling / apply machine learning methods.
- Synthesize findings, prepare presentations and assist in presenting findings out at Gap.
- Participate in the Gap Inc. Summer Internship Program and share insights with the team.
- Learn about the wide array of opportunities at Gap to apply quantitative techniques to drive business performance.
We have opportunities in these areas below:
- Inventory Analytics – The team uses methods from OR and ML to inform decisions on the product-to-market journey; what we make, how much we buy, where it sells, how we price it, and where it.
- Supply Chain– The team is chartered with driving revenue and profit growth opportunities for Gap’s online business through the development and implementation of predictive models and profit maximizing analytical processes.
- Machine Learning/AI – Creating end to end data science capabilities to support Inventory Management, Supply Chain and Customer function at Gap Inc. by developing & deploying AI solutions at scale. Researching new ways to improve predictive & explanatory models, designing quantitative systems and solve real world problems such as demand forecasting, inventory and supply chain optimization problems, personalization etc. using latest machine learning techniques leveraging large quantities of data.
Who You Are
- Master’s degree in progress with one year left to graduate in Data Science, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Machine Learning or related degree – accepting students that graduate in December 2023 through Spring 2024
- Hands-on experience with data analysis, predictive modeling techniques and statistical programming languages (SQL, Python, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and approach new and complex issues using data and analytics
- An ability to think abstractly and work cross functionally
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- A desire to evolve excellent problem-solving skills; meticulous and methodical
Please note the following:
- In order to be considered for this position, you will need to upload your resume in PDF format when applying to this role. (Eg: LastName_FirstName Resume)
- Use the same email address throughout our process – from applying to the role to taking the online assessment.
- We are not able to provide visa sponsorship for this role.