Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is one of the largest global asset management organizations of any full-service securities firm, with more than 40 years of history, a presence in 23 countries, and a total of $1.6 trillion in assets under management as of December 31, 2021. MSIM strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
The Investment Management Summer Analyst Program is a 10-week program consisting of one week of training and nine weeks working within a specific IM team. Across all IM teams, the curriculum is designed to equip Summer Analysts with the fundamental skills they need to be successful in IM. During the 10-week program, Summer Analysts experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley by performing a role similar to a Full-Time Analyst.
The Hedge Fund Solutions team constructs and manages hedge fund strategies, portfolios and solutions on behalf of institutional and high net-worth clients through its various pooled vehicles (limited partnerships) and segregated accounts. The Hedge Fund Solutions group currently manages $24.2 billion of hedge fund investments and is staffed with approximately 75 employees. It is based in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia), with additional offices in New York, London and Hong Kong.
The Primary Investment Team, in conjunction with the Portfolio Construction Team, serves to bridge a client’s investment objectives with the optimal implementation choices or ‘delivery mechanism’ for the hedge fund allocation. With the benefit of an open architecture platform – and making optimal use of data, tools and technology – the team seeks to source, structure, execute and oversee hedge fund investments spanning the full landscape of individual PMs, separate accounts and growth stage funds and managers, as well as established / brand-name, limited capacity and multi-strategy hedge funds.
During the 10-week program, the Summer Analyst will work closely with the Primary Investment Team coverage analysts, working on specific projects and participating in all stages of the investment process. This will include investment coverage activities, as well as those associated with sourcing, analysis and evaluation of new ideas. As the analyst position is the primary analytical role on the team, from idea generation, to data intake and analysis, to data aggregation and management, Summer Analysts will have the opportunity to assist with active risk, exposure and P/L oversight and evaluation throughout the program.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support all aspects of the Primary Investment Team investment process and coverage
- Collaborate with other functional areas in coordinating the various operational aspects of hedge fund investing
- Maintain active oversight and develop holdings-based analysis of separate managed account and hedge fund investments, including frequent engagement with underlying investment teams
- Help maintain comprehensive manager universes to facilitate peer group analysis and strategy research
- Participate in extensive strategy and manager reviews and in preparation of associated presentations for the Investment Committee
Qualifications and Skills
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree and will graduate between December 2023 and June 2024
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Team player with ability to collaborate with colleagues across Hedge Fund Solutions and the broader organization
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Driven, highly motivated and results-focused
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage time efficiently and effectively
- Detail oriented and have the ability to work efficiently within tight time constraints
- Enthusiasm for financial markets, macroeconomics and alternatives investing
Application Process and Deadline
In order to be considered, candidates must apply by July 31, 2022 at 11:55 PM EST.
This role requires that all successful applicants be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccinations within 3 days of commencement of employment.