View job on Handshake
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is one of the largest global asset management organizations of any full-service securities firm, with more than 40 years of history, a presence in 23 countries, and a total of $1.6 trillion in assets under management as of December 31, 2021. MSIM strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
The Investment Management Summer Analyst Program is a 10-week program consisting of one week of training and nine weeks working within a specific IM team. Across all IM teams, the curriculum is designed to equip Summer Analysts with the fundamental skills they need to be successful in IM. During the 10-week program, Summer Analysts experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley by performing a role similar to a Full-Time Analyst.
The Hedge Fund Solutions team constructs and manages hedge fund strategies, portfolios and solutions on behalf of institutional and high net-worth clients through its various pooled vehicles (limited partnerships) and segregated accounts. The Hedge Fund Solutions group currently manages $24.2 billion of hedge fund investments and is staffed with approximately 75 employees. It is based in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia), with additional offices in New York, London and Hong Kong.
The Alternative Lending team manages funds with managed assets in excess of $3 billion on behalf of institutional and high net-worth clients with a focus on private credit assets underwritten by FinTech companies. The team is based in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia).
During the 10-week program, the Summer Analyst will work closely with the Alternative Lending Team, working on specific projects and participating in all stages of the investment process. This will include sourcing, analysis, and evaluation of new ideas in addition to monitoring existing investments. Analysis includes working with large data sets at the loan level in Microsoft Excel, internal software systems, SQL, and/or R to monitor delinquencies, charge-offs, and other relevant metrics. The analyst will get exposure to capital markets including credit facilities and securitizations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support all aspects of the Alternative Lending investment process and coverage
- Collaborate with other functional areas in coordinating the various operational aspects of investing
Qualifications and Skills
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree and will graduate between December 2023 and June 2024
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Team player with ability to collaborate with colleagues across Alternative Lending and the broader organization
- Some coding experience preferred (R, Python, SQL)
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Driven, highly motivated and results-focused
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage time efficiently and effectively
- Detail oriented and have the ability to work efficiently within tight time constraints
- Enthusiasm for financial markets, macroeconomics and FinTech
Application Process and Deadline
In order to be considered, candidates must apply by July 31, 2022 at 11:55 PM EST.
This role requires that all successful applicants be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccinations within 3 days of commencement of employment.