Morgan Stanley Investment Management (“MSIM”), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 1,100 investment professionals around the world and $1.6 trillion in assets under management or supervision as of March 31, 2022. MSIM strives to provide strong long-term investment performance, outstanding service, and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations, and individuals worldwide.
The Investment Management Summer Analyst Program is a 10-week program consisting of one week of training and nine weeks working within a specific IM team. Across all IM teams, the curriculum is designed to equip Summer Analysts with the fundamental skills they need to be successful in IM. During the 10-week program, Summer Analysts experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley by performing a role similar to a Full-Time Analyst.
The High Yield internship program is intended for talented individuals pursuing an undergraduate degree in a related field. Successful candidates have demonstrated interest in financial markets, economics and/or international affairs. Interns in the High Yield group will provide the department with additional research assistance by working with portfolio managers, analysts, and operations associates.
The High Yield department manages $21 billion. Members of the High Yield research team contribute to idea generation by conducting thorough fundamental research and relative value analysis. Research is organized by industry specialization with each Senior Analyst covering high-yield companies within two to four industries. When applicable, members of the High Yield Group work closely with analysts from MSIM’s equity, leveraged loan, global income, and investment grade teams.
- Support portfolio managers, high yield analysts and research associates in their daily work. At a high-level, this includes: (i) analysis of industry fundamentals and outlooks, and; (ii) conducting in-depth fundamental research on individual company business models, operating strategies and outlooks.
- Participate in daily investment team meetings and company reviews called in response to primary issuance or a secondary market opportunity.
- Build and maintain proprietary financial models from data contained in company filings (e.g., 10-Ks, 10-Qs) and other data sources (e.g., Bloomberg, CapitalIQ, industry-specific information providers).
- Create spreadsheets and macros that compile information from multiple spreadsheets and databases into unified reports.
- Work on special projects within the High Yield Department (e.g., optimizing and screening investment opportunities; assessing portfolio risk exposure; compiling regulatory information).
- Perform additional assignments as requested.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree with an expected graduation date between December 2023 and June 2024
- Strong academic record and extracurricular achievements
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Extremely strong Excel skills
- Experience modeling corporate financial statements (income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements), preferably from a credit perspective
- The ability to function reliably and independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Understanding of the corporate bond and equity markets
Application Process and Deadline
In order to be considered, candidates must apply by July 31, 2022 at 11:55 PM ET.
This role requires that all successful applicants be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccinations within 3 days of commencement of employment.