View job on Handshake
About the Role
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials. This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions.
Our Customer, Digital, and Technology team pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who try fast, learn fast, and think big for our customers, communities, and the planet. On our team, you will be part of the technology engine that is driving innovative retail, e-commerce, and global enterprise technology for Gap Inc. and our brands. Our engineers and developers work together to create a seamless omni-channel experience powered through cloud-based platforms, services architecture, and open-source technologies. We help the company grow – whether it’s increasing our global footprint, operating a flawless holiday shopping season, or helping a customer get the product they need, when they need it. Our passion is what sets us apart – we’re not just here to execute, but also learn and grow and innovate on what’s next.
Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
The GapTech Rotational Program is looking for curious and innovative Entry Level Software Engineers to help code and develop best-in-class retail technology for our brands, employees, and customers around the globe. It is our mission to develop participants into high-performing full-stack engineering leaders, who can fully embrace our DevSecOps model to drive engineering process, value, and speed.
During the program, you will be assigned to meaningful projects that influence how Gap Inc. continues to impact the future of the retail industry. At Gap Inc., we are using technology as a competitive advantage to become the world’s #1 specialty apparel retailer. As part of GapTech, you will deliver globally scalable, cloud-based solutions, using agile software development, DevOps practices, and advanced technologies. Gap Inc. Technologists use a modern tech stack with a diverse set of software that is evolving with current trends. The program is designed to give you exposure to all facets of our business & growth strategies.
This program is a full-time, paid 1.5 year commitment and consists of three 5-month rotations. Every 5 months you will move into a new area that supports things such as mobile application development, store technology, cloud engineering, database engineering, supply chain logistics and more. Rotations will consist of real-life projects and code development working with industry leaders, SCRUM teams, and your peers. In addition to the rotational components, you will gain one-on-one mentoring from our top engineers, exposure to inspiring executive leaders, and experience with our systems, diverse tech stack, and methods.
At the end of your program, you’ll be placed in a permanent role on one of our engineering teams in line with your skill set, interests, and company needs. This rotational program begins in September 2023 – please only apply if you are interested in starting your career in 2023.
Note: This position offers remote OR hybrid working models – based on projects and team meetings, you will have the flexibility to alternate being in the office with working remotely. This role also offers the opportunity to choose your preferred working location from the following, if you’d like to be near an office: Columbus, OH; Atlanta, GA; and Dallas, TX.
What You’ll Do
- Candidates selected for this program will develop skills to become high-performing software engineers by designing, testing, deploying and managing the operations of applications across multiple disciplines. Rotations will be in 3 key areas where you will:
- Gain exposure to different product teams, applications, and the core internal and external customers they support
- Develop and maintain quality code using a modern tech stack while applying best-in-class DevOps practices
- Learn from senior software engineers, gaining exposure to best practices in writing and deploying clean code
- Collaborate with technical and product/design teams following Agile development principles
- Participate in professional development to build your leadership skills.
- The 3 key areas you will rotate through include:
- Digital, Customer Experience, & Stores Engineering
- Primary end user of your software development will be one of our customers (B2C)
- Develop and maintain quality code focusing on the visual elements of a website, system, tool, or app that end-users will interact with.
- Supply Chain & Product to Market Engineering
- Primary end user of your software development will be a Gap Inc. Business partner, vendor, or 3rd party business. (B2B)
- Develop and maintain quality code and APIs that ensures simplicity, reliability, scalability, and performance of our integrated systems and applications to deliver product to market.
- TechOps Architecture, Security, and Cloud Engineering
- Support the engine behind the health and operations of Gap Inc technology and help drive the transformation and innovation of cloud, e-commerce, and stores platform technologies.
Who You Are
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems Engineering or similar experience by June 2023
- Working knowledge of Data Structures
- Previous engineering internship or work experience
- Passion and interest in developing full-stack engineering skillset
- Demonstrated analytical skills, and knowledge + application of Engineering Principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners of varying degrees of leadership
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to approach problems with curiosity & creative thinking
Please note the following:
- In order to be considered for this position, you will need to upload your resume in PDF format when applying to this role. (Eg: LastName_FirstName Resume)
- Use the same email address throughout our process – from applying to the role to taking the online assessment.
- We are not able to provide visa sponsorship for this role.