As a science-based healthcare company with a longstanding commitment to inventing and providing important medicines and vaccines, subject to applicable law, we require all U.S. and Puerto Rico-based employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption or accommodation. We are committed to supporting our employees during this process as we work to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our Company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines, and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
The intern in the Data Science and Scientific Informatics (DSSI) Department of Research and Development Science IT (RaDS-IT) will have opportunities to develop techniques for quantitative analysis of multi-dimensional image data, genomics data, or text/natural language data to support drug development in various stages. The researcher will apply machine learning, data mining, signal processing techniques to extract meaningful information from high-dimensional, multi-modality datasets. This intern will be an opportunity to apply cutting-edge data science techniques to emerging fields with exciting and impactful applications in drug discovery and development.
The Data Science and Scientific Informatics Department consists of several teams, including:
- Bioinformatics – developing and applying computational methods for analyzing next-generation sequencing datasets
- Image Data Analytics – working on registration, segmentation, object detection, feature extraction in various modalities of medical images obtained in all different phases of drug development
- Natural Language Processing – learning how to listen, and speak sometimes too
- Data Science Realization Team – working on projects/products in one or more subdisciplines with data science, data engineering, data visualization, and machine learning techniques
- Applicants should indicate in their cover letters which of these areas are preferable.
Required Education and Skills:
- Candidates must be pursuing MS, ME, or PhD in one of the following areas: Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or be able to demonstrate equivalent qualifications in a related quantitative field. An individual who is pursuing an undergraduate degree in one of these disciplines and can demonstrate strong technical capabilities is also encouraged to apply.
- Candidates must be able to work full-time for 10-12 weeks in the summer of 2022 for an internship, or a full Spring/Fall semester for a co-op position (availability and preference should be indicated in the cover letter).
- Candidates must have research experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Candidates must have experience in Bioinformatics analysis of next-generation sequencing datasets
- Candidates must have experience in Biomedical image processing (such as histology-based, CT, MR etc.)
- Candidates must have experience with Information retrieval, machine learning with text/language, language models, knowledge graphs, or related areas
- Candidates must have experience with one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, MATLAB, R, C++, Java)
- Candidates must have the ability to plan and schedule daily computing, research and reporting activities to meet established timetables and objectives
- Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have experience in deep learning packages such as TensorFlow/Keras, PyTorch, MXNet
- Candidates should have experience in high-performance computing, GPU computing, and/or cCloud computing
- Candidates should have knowledge of biology or related discipline (e.g., chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical science)
- Candidates should have experience with big data tools (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Elasticsearch) and/or deployment of machine learning models
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.