Fall 2020 MS & PHD Orientation
The faculty, staff, and students of the IEOR department are excited to welcome our new master of science and PhD students to our program! We will hold orientation events on August 24 and 25 to welcome new students and provide important information about the program to help new students learn Berkeley systems and meet our community.
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. PDT: Introductions & Welcome from IEOR Staff
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. PDT: IEOR Department Introduction with IEOR Department Chair Professor Max Shen
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. PDT: Program Overview with IEOR Graduate Advisor Professor Dorit Hochbaum
10:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. PDT: Resource Talks
- Engineering Library introduction with Engineering Librarian Lisa Ngo (PDF flyer)
- Latino/a Association of Graduate Students in Engineering and Science at UC Berkeley with Andre Montes (PDF flyer)
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) introduction with Amy Honigman, PhD Licensed Psychologist
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. PDT - IEOR Faculty and Graduate Student Research Talks
- Faculty talks: Ken Goldberg, Rajan Udwani, Alper Atamturk, Rhonda Righter, Anil Aswani
- Graduate student talks: Alfonso Lobos, SangWoo Park, Julie Mulvaney-Kemp, Pelagie Moudio
5:00 p.m. PDT: Social Hour with IEOR Graduate Community - Join the staff, faculty, and your fellow MS and PhD students for a gather.town social hour to make introductions and meet each other!
Connect with department social media
The Department shares news, events, and other updates on social media channels, including:
What is IEOR?
Operations Research combines stochastics and optimization, developing mathematical methods for modeling uncertainty and computing extrema in high-dimensional functions under numerical constraints.
Industrial Engineering applies OR methods to industrial-scale systems to optimize time, value, return on investment, human resources, materials, information, equipment, energy, and other resources.