News: I have moved to a more permanent place at faridani.me thanks to Berkeley
for all the great memories.
I graduated in 2012 and I am now an applied researcher at Microsoft.
Dissertation: Models and Algorithms for Crowdsourcing Discovery
I am a PhD candidate in the IEOR department. I am a member of the Algorithms, Machines and People Lab (AMPlab), Berkeley Automation Sciences Lab, and Berkeley Center for New Media. My dissertation is entitled "Optimal Models and Algorithms for Collective and Collaborative Discovery". My advisor is Professor Ken Goldberg.
My research is supported by grants from NSF, Panasonic, Microsoft and Fujitsu labs of America and I am grateful for their support.
I also volunteer at the SEED OF LOVE Care Farm
Mentor: A Visualization and Quality Assurance Framework for Crowd-Sourced Data Generation, Siamak Faridani, Georg Buscher, Johnny Ferguson.[PDF]
[Book Chapter] Range change among New World tropical and subtropical birds. Rappole, J. H., S. Glasscock, K. Goldberg, D. Song, and S. Faridani. 2011. pp. 151-167 In Tropical vertebrates in a changing world (K.-L. Schuchmann, ed.), Bonner Zoologische Monographen 57, Bonn, Germany. [PDF]
Estimating the Completion Time of Crowdsourced Tasks Using Survival Analysis Models, Wang, J. and Faridani, S. and Ipeirotis, P.G., Crowdsourcing for Search and Data Mining (CSDM 2011), p31, 2011 [PDF]
The diversity donut: enabling participant control over the diversity of recommended responses. Wong, D. and Faridani, S. and Bitton, E. and Hartmann, B. and Goldberg, K. Proceedings of the 2011 annual conference extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems (CHI). pp 1471-1476. 2011. [PDF]
Opinion Space: A Scalable Tool for Browsing Online Comments. Siamak Faridani, Ephrat Bitton, Kimiko Ryokai, Ken Goldberg. ACM International Conference on Computer Human Interaction (CHI). pp 1175-1184. Atlanta, GA. April 2010. [PDF]
Networked Telerobotic Observatory for Collaborative Remote Observation of Avian Activity and Range Change. Siamak Faridani, Bryce Lee, Selma Glasscock, John Rappole, Dezhen Song, Ken Goldberg. IFAC Conference on Networked Robots (NetRob). Denver, CO. Oct 2009. [PDF]
Online Interactive MEMS Experiments and Web-based Curriculum, Siamak Faridani and Kurt Gramoll, Proceedings in American Society for Engineering Education, 2008. [PDF]
- Time Window: An Interactive Query Tool for Finding Patterns in Time Stamped Visual Data
- A Demand Forecasting Framework for Online Retailers using Bayesian Multivariate Poisson Regression
- A Succinct Control Theory Derivation for the Square Root Variant of Fitts' Law
- Queues with heterogeneous servers and fair workload considerations
- Analysis and Design of Databases (Graduate Level)
- Industrial Design and Human Factors
- Introduction to Mobile Robotics
- Adobe Advanced Technology Labs, Multi-Aspect Sentiment Analysis and Optimal Models for Targeted Advertising, Jun 2012
- Samsung Information Systems America (SISA) R&D Center, Pricing Models for Online Crowdsourcing Markets, May 2012
- GE Global Research, Canonical Correlation Analysis for Sentiment Analysis and Recommender Systems, April 2012
- eBay Research, Algorithms for Collaborative Discovery, Nov 2011
- Fujitsu Laboratories of America, Opinion Space, Feb 2011
- IROS 2011, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Workshop on Robotics for Environmental Monitoring. CONE Welder: Collaborative Observatory for Natural Environments.
Opinion Space [media coverage on the homepage of the Department of State]
A Stock Trading and Portfolio Analysis , built using Python, .NET and GNU plot url: [Download]
Birds Dataset: With over 38,849 bird photos this collection can serve as a training set for visual bird detection and image processing research. Computer vision researchers can download raw images in the .bz2 format. This dataset is freely available for research use. [Dataset]
Multitouch Input Device (using infrared and a home brew setup) [Demo]
Target Tracking/Image Processing [Demo Videos]
I have written a number of useful codes for nonlinear unconstrained optimization [Codes]
Word Cloud Project [Project Home Page]