4127 Etcheverry Hall
(510) 517 6113
E-mail: leachman (at) berkeley.edu
Rob Leachman is a Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at the University of California at Berkeley. Dr. Leachman is the author of more than 50 technical publications and has supervised more than 30 PhD dissertations concerning production and operations management. He also is President and CEO of Leachman and Associates LLC, a firm providing consulting and software for operations management and logistics analysis to corporations and governments. He received the AB degree in Mathematics and Physics, the MS degree in Operations Research and the PhD degree in Operations Research, all from U. C. Berkeley, and has been a member of the U C Berkeley faculty since 1979. In 1995 Dr. Leachman was the winner of the Franz Edelman Award Competition sponsored by the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), recognizing his work to design and implement automated production planning systems in the semiconductor industry. In 2001 Dr. Leachman was the runner-up in the Franz Edelman Award Competition, recognizing his work for automated floor scheduling and cycle time management in the semiconductor industry. The Edelman Award is the highest accolade from INFORMS, given annually recognizing outstanding practice of the management sciences.
- Planning and Scheduling Semiconductor Manufacturing
- Planning Biopharmaceutical production
- Economic Analysis of Import Supply Chains
- Railroad Operations and Capacity Analysis
- Leachman, Robert C., Lenrick Johnston, Shan Li and Zuo-Jun Shen, 2014. “An Automated Planning Engine for Biopharmaceutical Production,” European Journal of Operational Research, 238 (2014), p. 327 – 338.
- "The Engineering Management of Speed," Proceedings of the 2012 Industry Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Pittsburgh, May 30- June 2, 2012.
- "Policy Analysis of Supply Chains for Asia - USA Containerized Imports," Proceedings of the 2012 Industry Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Pittsburgh, May 30- June 2, 2012.>
- "Evolving Strategies for Asia - USA Containerized Supply Chains: Implications and Policy Recommendations," Proceedings of the 2011 Industry Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Pittsburgh, June 1 - June 3, 2011.
- Jula, Payman and Robert C. Leachman, 2011. "A Supply Chain Optimization Model for the Allocation of Containerized Imports from Asia to the United States",Transportation Research Part E, 47 (5), p. 609-622 (September, 2011). Port_I.pdf
- Jula, Payman and Robert C. Leachman, 2011. "Long- and Short-run Supply Chain Optimization Models for the Allocation and Congestion Management of Waterborne, Containerized Imports from Asia to the United States",Transportation Research Part E, (5), p. 593-608 (September, 2011). Port_II.pdf
- Leachman, Robert C. and Payman Jula, 2011. "Congestion Analysis of Waterborne, Containerized Imports from Asia to the United States",Transportation Research Part E, 47 (6), p. 992-1004 (November, 2011). Port_III.pdf
- Leachman, Robert C. and Payman Jula, 2011. "Estimating Flow Times for Containerized Imports from Asia to the United States Through the Western Rail Network", in press, to appear in Transportation Research Part E. Port_IV.pdf
- Leachman, Robert C., "Port and Modal Allocation of Waterborne Containerized Imports from Asia to the United States",Transportation Research E, Vol 44 No 2, p 313-331 (March, 2008). TRE.pdf
- "Port and Modal Elasticity Study,” Proceedings of the 2006 National Urban Freight Conference, Long Beach, CA, Feb. 1, 2006. NUFC.pdf
- "An Exact Solution Procedure for Determining the Optimal Dispatching Times for Complex Rail Networks," IIE Transactions, 38, p. 141-152, (Jan. 2006).
- “Modeling Train Movements Through Complex Rail Networks,” ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, 14 (1), p. 48-75 (Jan. – Feb. 2004). TrainMovements.pdf
- “SLIM: Short Cycle Time and Low Inventory in Manufacturing at Samsung Electronics,” Interfaces, 32 (1), p. 61-77 (Jan.-Feb. 2002). SLIM.pdf
- Leachman, Robert C., 2002. “Competitive Semiconductor Manufacturing: Final Report on Findings from Benchmarking Eight-inch, sub-350nm Wafer Fabrication Lines” CSM-52, , Engineering Systems Research Center, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 (March, 2002).
- "Semiconductor Production Planning," in Handbook of Applied Optimization, Panos M. Pardalos and Mauricio G. C. Resende (Eds.), Oxford University Press, New York, p. 746-762 (2001).
- "Dynamic Models of Production with Multiple Operations and General Processing Times," in Journal of the Operational Research Society, 48 (6), p. 647-654 (June, 1997).
- "IMPReSS: An Automated Production Planning and Delivery Quotation System at Harris Corporation - Semiconductor Sector" (with R. Benson, D. Raar and C. Liu), Interfaces, January - February, 1996. IMPRESS.pdf
- "Benchmarking Semiconductor Manufacturing" (with D. Hodges), IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, May, 1996.
- Leachman, Robert C., editor, 1996. "The Competitive Semiconductor Manufacturing Survey: Third Report on Results of the Main Phase" CSM-31, Engineering Systems Research Center, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 (August, 1996).
- "Resource-Constrained Scheduling of Projects with Variable-Intensity Activities" (with A. Dincerler and S. Kim), IIE Transactions, Vol. 22, No. 1 (March, 1990).
- "Strategic Initiatives for Inland Movement of Containerized Imports at San Pedro Bay", White Paper, Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, January, 2017.
- "Optimizing a Retailer's Containerized Import Supply Chain," E. Davidson
- "Optimal Planning in Biopharmaceutical Supply Chains," L. Johnston
- "Integration of Speed Economics into Decision Technologies for Manufacturing Management," S. Ding
- "Exploiting Separable Structures to Accelerate Learning Before Doing and Learning By Doing in Production," D. Moore
- "Scheduling Back-End Semiconductor Manufacturing," P. Jula
- "Learning by Using in Semiconductor Manufacturing: The Role of Local Information and Problem Solving Capabilities," P. Palezzato
- "Advanced Semiconductor Production Planning," V. Lin
- "Incremental Production Planning for the Semiconductor Industry Using Linear Programming," R.F. Benson
- "Automated Procedures for Characterizing Specific Equipment Productivity Losses with Applications in the Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry," D.P. Busing