About Industrial Engineering & Operations Research at UC Berkeley
Welcome to the Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department at the University of California at Berkeley. In IEOR, we invent, analyze and teach tools and approaches for design, analysis, risk management, and decision-making in complex real-world systems like supply chains, energy systems, healthcare systems, and financial systems.
- Industrial Engineering, a branch of engineering which deals with the optimization of complex processes or systems. It is concerned with the development, improvement, and implementation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials, analysis and synthesis, as well as the mathematical, physical and social sciences together with the principles and methods of engineering design to specify, predict, and evaluate the results to be obtained from such systems or processes.
- Operations Research, a discipline that deals with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions.
- the design and operation of supply chains, logistics
- systems, healthcare systems, financial systems, and energy systems
- management-level decision making
- data-driven decision-making
- risk management
- engineering analysis to improve quality, productivity, and customer service of existing systems.
- tools to solve problems and make decisions in business and industry, telecommunications and the internet, pricing strategies, grid computing, homeland security, public policy,…
- Management Science, the scientific and mathematical analysis of business processes and systems, aimed at making them more efficient and more profitable.
- integrates marketing, finance, information systems and operations.
- mathematical optimization
- stochastic modeling
- quality control
- inventory theory